Marineland Portrait Betta Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By Opare

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Marineland Portrait Betta Tank

It's been a couple years since I've had any tank at all, and about 5 years since I've had a truly planted tank. (Anubias don't count.) I have pretty much no floor space, but I've declared a small corner of our table to be for a betta tank and I'm going to do a low-light set-up. My first problem was... when did they start only including LEDs in every single kit available?! Oh, and part of this game is budget.

After researching around on kits vs piece by piece, I found the Marineland Portrait with great reviews on its glasswork, and it was on Amazon for $40, free shipping! (Seriously, if you're reading this now, go get one. I'm still waiting for it to arrive, but $40 glass tank? I couldn't believe it.)

So far my set up will be-
.Marineland Portrait (5 Gallons) Tank + Filter
.Hydor 25 Watt Heater
.Aluminum Clamp Light w/ 10-13 watt 6500k Compact Fluorescent Bulb
.No CO2

The general idea for my scape will be a riverbank/ravine style with a mixture of rocks and driftwood. Not doing anything fancy with plants, considering vals, crypts, java fern, anubias, mosses, whatever is looking happy at the aqua store.

My first big question is about substrate. In the past I had always used black sand, but I want to get away from that and the mess and headaches, and do something with a little bit of oomph for the plants.
*Edit: I just took a few minutes and read up on cycling with ADA Aquasoil and I'm liking that route. It also seems to be one of the few products that comes in smaller sizes, since I don't need 20lbs of dirt. Anyone have strong feelings either way about this one?*

Second question is about my lighting. I am going to suspend the clamp light over the tank (working on a few different ideas to keep it functional, but provide a certain aesthetic) but I am not sure at what height. If I go with the lighting I mentioned (or tell me that's totally ridiculous and do something else) how close to the actual tank does it need to be? Keep in mind the Marineland Portrait has a glass lid, if that affects anything. The LED bar it comes with flips up vertically, so if its in the way I can very easily just adjust that.

I am so stupid excited about this tank. Any other advice or comments are really appreciated.

Last edited by tlriot; 10-08-2016 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 04:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

ADA Aquasoil is really good and saves you time on trying to fishless cycle. I like it a lot.
That light should be good play around with height and see what your tank needs. I would start conservative and put it really hih at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The cycling was actually what made me decide to just go with Aquasoil. the local shop is also mostly ADA products. I've been getting things online, locally it's just so limited and expensive, and with free shipping on Amazon, you can't beat that. I wasn't sure between the "normal" or the "powdered" substrate, I guess I'll see when I get there.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 12:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Since your tank is small the 'Powder' type may be more favourable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the input. That was what I was leaning towards since I've always used sand in the past.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode