Paasenger's Topfin 5 High/ish Tech - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By PassengerTN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Paasenger's Topfin 5 High/ish Tech

Howdy all. Figured I'd start a online log for my first real planted tank.

Rundown:
-Top Fin 5 gallon integrated
-Dirt with gravel cap
-Pressurized co2 with Aquatek premium regulator
-Finnex 12" Planted Plus and Finnex Stingray clip light

The tank has made several transformations throughout the past 10 months due to my lazy/half-jacked attempts.

It hit all my needs perfectly. I wanted it to sit on my dresser, beside my television. Fit like a glove.

Initially I tried the dry start method with dwarf baby tears. Tank was dirted and capped with play sand.

Things went well at first, then it started dying in mass clumps daily.

Finally I got frustrated, ripped it all out, tossed in a few fish with just the rock hardscape and left it alone.

Two or three months went by, and I decided to tackle it again. This happened.

I was pleased, things grew fine, but I still wasn't happy. I planted some s.repens as a carpet plant, and shortly after I got hit hard with cyano bacteria. I let it ride out for a few weeks.

Fast forward to now. I decided if I'm doing it, I'm doing it 110%, not half jacked like I've been doing for almost a year.

Caleb, aka IAmACoolGuy hooked me up on his old pressurized co2 setup. I'm awaiting arrival of a Finnex light which should be here tomorrow. I changed substrate, rescaped, and replanted the tank last night.
Here's the tank now.

Still needs a few plants obviously. Heres what we have so far, and what I'm thinking of adding.

I will likely tear the vals out, as I'm not sure I'll like them in the end. Recommendations for stem plants?

If you've read this all, I am looking for comments, suggestions and criticism please. Let's hear it folks!

Jesse

Bump: The tank was planted with the Monte Carlo and everything on September 19. This photo was taken October 4. 15 short days and I've got crazy growth from the MC!

I removed the vals, and tossed in some rotala rotundifolia and cabomba to help take up some empty space for now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 02:45 AM
Algae Grower

How is that light working out for you? I've been looking for a good nano light.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I run both the Stingray clip-on, and the 12" Planted Plus. They both work well with the short tank height.

Here's an updated shot after I redone the hard scape completely.

Carpet after 27 days

Pretty pleased with how every thing is growing. Still at a loss for what to do with background plants. Rotala rotundifolia and cabomba back there hanging out for now. Still trying to decide on ferts. Dry dosing EI or NilocG's Thrive+

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassengerTN View Post
I run both the Stingray clip-on, and the 12" Planted Plus. They both work well with the short tank height.

Here's an updated shot after I redone the hard scape completely.

Carpet after 27 days

Pretty pleased with how every thing is growing. Still at a loss for what to do with background plants. Rotala rotundifolia and cabomba back there hanging out for now. Still trying to decide on ferts. Dry dosing EI or NilocG's Thrive+
nice growth on the monte carlo. its getting crazy.

i would suggest smaller plants in the back since this is on a nano tank scale.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I agree completely, but I'm not exactly sure of what those plants are This is my first planted tank. Is limnophilia aromatica mini one of those? Someone suggested it

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode