My first nano (UPDATE 7-19 new pics) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)
My first nano (UPDATE 7-19 new pics)

hey everybody ive been lurking around this forum quite a bit for the past 2 months reading up a little and i finally planned on starting a nano up. For my substrate im using eco-complete. The filter i picked up is a red sea and a lamp from staples. The flora i picked are anacharises, a java plant, a java moss, an amazon sword and 2 banana plants. The flauna are 6 ghost shrimp so without further adieu, my tank!

Last edited by ren; 07-20-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update!
so my girlfriend did me a favor and went to Chinatown to pick me up these:
5 cherry shrimp 1 moss ball 1 java moss 1 nerite snail

would anyone know what other plants i can put in my tank?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)
Anubias (I suggest nana or nana petite for this sized tank)
Most other mosses

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 04:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Any updates?

[50g][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:12 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
have you considered putting in a substrate like driftwood? the moss will look really nice growing on top of it. you can fasten the moss on by putting mesh over a branch
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update:
So much for an update nothing hasnt really changed im mean the anacharis have started to grow more stems. As for the rest of the plants i really see no change. The banana plant started growing algae on them so as soon as the red shrimp went in they went straight to cleaning that up. Since my last update i had gotten a huge ball of java moss, i had some planaria living in it so i set it aside in another glass contain hoping they would all die off.
Yesterday and monday i was around my local marina and the beach(i like long walks on the beach). I found a lot of driftwood to work with and now the boiling process begins.... i want it im my tank already!!!jeez im soo impatient.........
As for changing the scape im actually playing the waiting game. When my girlfriend got me shrimp i had 2 extra baby shrimp in the bag and also in the moss ball(sneeky critters). So as soon as they become redder? err bigger ill rescape. ps im starting to get annoyed at how the tank looks im itching to redo it badly well ill post pictures up later.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Since you are from NY the waters are most likely polluted, I would not recommend adding it to the tank. How big is the tank?

-Caton

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

well here are the pictures i said id put up

does anyone know what plant this is? it was tangled up in my java moss

the newest addition to my tank..

THE PIECE DE RESISTANCE!! - what i believe are shrimp eggs..

do you see the little sac of bubbles in front of the plant??

there are 2 sacs here, one in between the banana fingers and one just hanging outside

i'm pretty sure these are eggs, what do you guys think? i'm stumped on what to do since my tank is already up to capacity. any advice on how take care of them if they actually do hatch? i read that i would have to put aquarium salt in for them to fully develop
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caton View Post
Since you are from NY the waters are most likely polluted, I would not recommend adding it to the tank. How big is the tank?

-Caton
i think that its about 3.5 gals. i just converted a vase into a tank
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update!!

hey everybody its been a while since i posted any pictures. i had quite a mishap right before i was suppose to update. well long story short i rushed changing the water and most of my stock died stupid me! i lost all the glass shrimp and 2 cherry shrimp. what a newbie thing to do like i said i was waiting on the baby cherry shrimp grow larger. after that happened i went into chinatown again and bought 3 more shrimp and did a rescape. i def went overboard with tying up the java moss on the wood. LOL i basically trimmed the anacharis down tied some moss and java moss to the wood and moved around things oh and some much for "Piece de Resistance" aka the eggs that were suck to the banana plants and among other things. They were snail eggs! how dumb of me i guess i should read up on some more things. oh and excuse the floating bit of plant matter anyway enough of me babbling on and on here it is..... any questions or comments would be appreciated

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Is that a rock tied to the driftwood?
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 03:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
LOL why is there a rock tied to the driftwood?

Great looking tank BTW.

Tony

My

and my

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 04:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
LOL why is there a rock tied to the driftwood?

Great looking tank BTW.
I'm going to guess that it is to weigh down the wood.

Cute tank.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
It's a nice looking tank, but the equipment in it kind of distracts from the look. I have a small cylindrical tank and I used a UGF in it to cut down on the clutter inside. At the very least I would probably rearrange the decor and plants to try to hide some of it a bit better.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

yeah thats def a rock to weigh down the piece of wood LOL the piece of wood was actually super light i was hoping it would sink eventually but i guess not. anyway it was hard to find wood that that would fit into my tank, when i bought real driftwood it took up a lot of space. ill most likely throw it in my goldfish tank with some moss and more java ferm.
i should have covered that with moss hehehe. right after i finished rescaping err i should have tied the rock to the wood then covered it with moss but i felt too lazy to do it. also i def want to change out some of the plants in the tank im starting to get sick of looking at them.. does anyone have spare plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
It's a nice looking tank, but the equipment in it kind of distracts from the look. I have a small cylindrical tank and I used a UGF in it to cut down on the clutter inside. At the very least I would probably rearrange the decor and plants to try to hide some of it a bit better.
i felt the same way about the way my plants were set up ill just wait a week or two for the moss to grow.

really i heard those are the worst filters anyone can use. any specs or pictures on your UGF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2005 View Post
I'm going to guess that it is to weigh down the wood.

Cute tank.
Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode