My first Nano and first Iwagumi - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
My first Nano and first Iwagumi

Hi Folks,

After many months with my planted 84g, I thought it would be fun to take on a new challenge. I bought a 25cm cube and 13 watt 225 LED light array from Tom Barr before the Holidays and finally got around to setting it up about a month ago.

The biggest delay in getting started was finding rocks to work with. Given the small size of the aqaurium, I didn't want to order by mail, so it took months to find some small rocks with enough character to work with.

More challenging than finding rocks was arranging them. Should have expected that, but the tank sat in my basement for weeks with occassional re-orgs of the rocks before I decided on a layout. It was fun, but tempting to keep going out and buying more rocks. Could have gone on forever.

For Substrate I decided on AS. Always wanted to try it, so in it went. True to expectations, water softened, PH fell, Ammonia spiked.

I bought a Glosso and HC mat from sellers on SnS. They went in as part of the initial setup. Getting them planted was a pain. I'd hoped mats could be laid down like sod, but I obviously had that wrong. It floated, fell apart, roots curled under. Seemed harder in the end. I wound up breaking the glosso up and planting individually. There was also a dwarf grass of some kind embedded in the glosso so I used that as well.

After a few weeks, ammonia settled down and I bought a batch of CRS from SnS. I know, RCS are easier, but damn the torpedoes...

So config is:
  • 25cm cube
  • 225 LED, 13 watt array
  • AS substrate
  • Aquaclear 20 filter
  • Carbon via Excel
Here are some pics of the setup in the beginning.

In these pics you can see the impact of the LED color.

So this is the tank as it was on day one. There have been changes, more in my update.

AB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
nice start

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Scape looks good. Should be much better once everything grows in.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Pretty cool, keep us posted.

Where'd you get that bulletproof tank?

Looks nice.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quick update. after a few weeks all of the plants have declined some. Much dieback, little sign of growth. Carbon may be a limiting factor as I'm relying on Excel, but I think it is the light. It seems dim. Its blueish which I assume is just an aesthetic issue, but mostly it just seems dim.

Tom Barr had measured output at ~90 micromols. Light is about 5 inches above the tank, which can't change given the setup. I can't measure PAR, but given AS substrate and Excel, seems light would be the limiting factor. Even if insufficient Carbon for vigorous growth, still wouldn't expect a decline.

So I'm considering a different light and swapping out the LED array. Considering the Catalina Aquarium 10" lighthouse. Need to call them about suspension options as I prefer the light fixed to the shelf above the tank for convenience.

Anyway, that is the current state. Experimentation is fun! CRS seem fine at least and despite decaying plant material, ammonia levels are still low.

Any input welcome.

AB

Fluval G6

Last edited by NJAquaBarren; 05-18-2010 at 08:31 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 AM
jms
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have a Catalina and it's a nice light. If the 10 in comes with a a bulb, make sure you get the 50/50 swapped with something you can use as mine came with a 50/50 and had no use for it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 06:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Nice progress. Where did you get the tank?

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

My first Nano and first Iwagumi

I bought the tank here on SnS from Tom Barr. Light too. I think he made the tank personally from 1/2 inch Plex. It is very solid, though light for that thickness.

After 2 weeks the CRS are still alive and kicking. I'm glad about that. Thought starting with CRS instead of RCS was risky. My water is med-hard, but the AS substrate really softens and lowers the PH. Think that's helped with the shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fluval G6
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just an update. Shrimp are doing well, but plants aren't. The Glosso and HC mats that I bought on SnS largely melted away. Some is left. This may just be transition melt and what's left may recover and do OK, waiting to see. Still a little skeptical about the LED array, but giving it more time.

Fluval G6
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Can't wait to see it filled up!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 04:12 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
bummer about the plants, really nice hardscape though, i hope the bounce back

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode