Planning a nano! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planning a nano!

Hey Guys, since i finally got my 16g bowfront all squared away i am thinking about making a nano tank. So far i have been debating a Fluval Edge, or maybe just a small Finnex like tank? But when i do this i want to make a list of everything i will need before hand, so i know exactly what i am getting. Hoping to make it a medium lighting, possibly pressurized co2. Could anyone help me go through the process of making a list of components to get?

So far have been debating an Edge, but kind of put from that because i have heard huge noise complaints about it.

Would anyone mind helping me make a list of stuff?

The list so far
Tankpossibly an Edge?) still thinking!
Filter: Either a hob or maybe this
Heater: Just a mini one?
Lighting: No idea yet
Substrate: Flourite or Eco-Complete?
co2: Paintball co2, need advice on regulators and dispersal
Ferts: no idea Seachem?
Plants: Advice please?
Fauna: Advice please?

Thanks! Sorry if this is asking too much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)
Sounds like a good start. There's another thread in the nano forums here that is all about the Fluval Edge and all things that go with it. I'd definitely suggest reading the whole thread since there's a lots of good info there.

For the filter, I think long term you will probably be happier with a small canister filter, but I've had a HOB on my nano for it's whole life and it's been just fine. Added benefit to getting an Edge is that it has the filter included! Plus, with an Edge you can do some nifty DIY projects to get Co2 and a heater in the tank through the back where you won't see them.

I've really enjoyed my Finnex, and if I had to choose I would get it again over the Edge, mainly because of the lighting options. I find the light on the edge to be too much like a spotlight for my taste. But for what you are after, it might work really well.

There is a good paintball style regulator on thatpetplace.com. It's only $90 (cheap for a regulator). Also, if you want to go higher quality on the paintball regulator you could look up Green Leaf Aquariums. They have nice quality regulators, albeit at higher prices. But in this case you are getting what you pay for.

For ferts, there are several ways you could go. You could use Seachem ferts, and they will work just fine. My suggestion would be to check out dry ferts. You mix them into solutions that are the exact same thing as the Seachem stuff, but it's way cheaper overall. Green Leaf Aquariums is again a good place to find those, but there are plenty of other places too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 02:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
ADA/DoAqua tanks are really nice. Shipping is a little expensive though.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 02:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have both tanks you're considering so I can offer some input. If you like a complete solution with absolutely no modding necessary, I'd go with the Finnex. The 26W full spectrum light that comes with the Finnex will allow you to successfully grow any plant out there. The Edge does have the cool factor, but you will have to replace the lights if you want to grow anything beyond Java fern. Also, the Edge's small opening makes aquascaping extremely difficult. Between the two included filters, the Aquaclear 20 that comes with the Edge is much better than the Red Sea Nano clone that comes with the Finnex.

Tony

My

and my

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 04:12 AM
Algae Grower

I own neither, but my personal choice (of the two) would be the finnex tank.

why are you looking at these two tanks? style?

these are on sale right now. Im sure you can find bulbs for them...might even be too much light(someone will have to chime in). but if your gonna do co2 and all that jazz, these could be cool. Im thinking about getting the 8 gallon one.....I have a 6 gallon JBJ tank that is similar you can check out my signature if you wanna see where I'm going with it. Ive still a ways to go, and much to learn....

Last edited by ryanlogic; 05-14-2010 at 04:26 AM. Reason: added link
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 06:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

I think he wants something that looks moddern with clean lines and no trim. Just a guess.

Same. I'd go with the Finnex. Cheaper than the Fluval Edge ^^

As for the co2 you should check this out. For 150 usd ($160 for total shipping to my area) you get a 5lbs bottle and an azoo regulator ^^
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...sure-Regulator
I've searched on it and it seems to be decent. But for price/quality try GLA/SUMO/any 2 stages.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys! Thanks for all the info! I think i will go with the finnex but still am undecided.

Ok, so it sounds like the Finnex would be the best option, anyone know of a good place to buy one? Because i can't find one.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is it the Finnex 4 gallon tanks that have a decent light?

Thanks guys!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also, one quick question, is the finnex quiet? I need something that will be pretty quiet. Sorry for yet another question.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Algae Grower

I just bought a 7.5g cube from Marine Depot. $35 +ship
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)
You can get the Finnex tanks off Ebay. They are pretty common there.

Also to answer your question, the filter that comes with the Finnex is very quiet. You many end up upgrading the filter eventually though, so keep that in mind too.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Two of the Hagen co2 units would work well, if you didn't want to go pressurized.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info guys! I think i am going to go with a Finnex 4 gallon. Since it comes with a nice light and a filter! So now i need to decide on some other things.

The list so far
Tank: Finnex 4 Gallon
Filter: The one with the tank
Heater: For shrimp, maybe 2 ottos? Need one?
Lighting: What comes with the tank
Substrate: Flourite or Eco-Complete? Next thing to figure out
co2: Paintball co2, need advice on regulators and dispersal (don't know yet)
Ferts: no idea Seachem?
Plants: Advice please? (Anyone?)
Fauna: Advice please? (Anyone?)

Thanks so much everybody!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 02:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

Good choice with the Finnex! Check out my diary for more pictures of the tank (link in my signature).

Heater: depends on what your ambient room temperature is. If it's a constant 72-78F (year round), then you can skip it. Otherwise, you will need a small one.

Substrate: personally, I'd go with Eco-Complete. It's always performed better for me than Fluorite. Either is fine.

CO2: this has been discussed a lot (especially in the "equipment" section). Just do a search.

Plants: my favorite nano plants are: Cryptocoryne parva, narrow leaf java fern, anubias petite, dwarf or giant baby tears, dwarf hairgrass, microswords, and mosses.

Fauna: I love green neon tetras and celestial pearl danios. Check out this thread for more.

Tony

My

and my

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks man! I think i am going to order the finnex tomorrow or so, I was kinda leaning towards Eco-Complete substrate as well, so i guess i just need to figure out some good plants for it so i can make up a list of what i will need to buy.

Any ideas for plants?

Thanks again!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode