Vitae's 3 Gallon something - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Vitae's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 62
Vitae's 3 Gallon something

So, heres my 3 gallon, recently stocked with some plants thanks to another forum member
It's a 3 gallon marineland tank, using the whisper filter and hydor heater. The lighting is..well, I picked up the light itself at wal-mart, it's a compact flourecent bulb, 10watts.
I've got a DIY c02 thing going on.

Got some plants, moss and such, a bunch of trumpet snails, and some red cherry shrimps, 2 guppies.

Heres some pictures

FTS:





Vitae is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
StaleyDaBear's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Spokane Valley, WA
Posts: 330
I like it! good start to what seems like is going to be a nice tank. Lot of snails though? Adding a loach to annihilate them might be a good idea. Also, what is your substrate?

"The odds of winning are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day"
StaleyDaBear is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Vitae's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaleyDaBear View Post
I like it! good start to what seems like is going to be a nice tank. Lot of snails though? Adding a loach to annihilate them might be a good idea. Also, what is your substrate?
Those are some trumpet snails that I had just added to the tank shortly before taking the picture.. so they haven't quite gotten into place yet lol.. besides I love those snails

The substrate.. well, it's just standard stuff I found at petsmart, it had a few bits of "clown puke" mixed in but i removed it.
Personally I've had better results then from the last time when I used fluorite.. oddly enough.
I figure if I get a bigger tank or more rare/elaborate plants I definitely will be using better substrate.. but for now this'll do.
Thanks though
Vitae is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Vitae's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 62
Question for ya'll, I'm thinking of going with a different filter.. I really don't like the "in-tank" type filter.. but it came with the setup..

So, would this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622
be a little overkill?
Vitae is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 03:30 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
dj2005's Avatar
 
PTrader: (56/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitae View Post
Question for ya'll, I'm thinking of going with a different filter.. I really don't like the "in-tank" type filter.. but it came with the setup..

So, would this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622
be a little overkill?
Do note that you can find that filter for less. For example: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...2&pcatid=16742

I use the zoomed 501 (same filter, essentially) on my Mini M (5.5g) and it does a good job. It is a weak filter so it should be fine on your 3g. I actually wouldn't recommend using it on tanks above 7g due to its low flow rate.

Or, if you don't mind using a HOB filter, a Red Sea/Azoo nano filter would do very well in a 3g: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...fm?pcatid=9821. Instead of purchasing the replacement filter media, you can just stuff filter floss in the compartment. Filter floss is about $3 for one pound (which will last multiple lifetimes).


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dj2005 is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Vitae's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2005 View Post
Do note that you can find that filter for less. For example: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...2&pcatid=16742

I use the zoomed 501 (same filter, essentially) on my Mini M (5.5g) and it does a good job. It is a weak filter so it should be fine on your 3g. I actually wouldn't recommend using it on tanks above 7g due to its low flow rate.

Or, if you don't mind using a HOB filter, a Red Sea/Azoo nano filter would do very well in a 3g: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...fm?pcatid=9821. Instead of purchasing the replacement filter media, you can just stuff filter floss in the compartment. Filter floss is about $3 for one pound (which will last multiple lifetimes).
Ah thanks! I think I'll pick the mini canister up next paycheck.. the Azoo nano i've had in the past.. and unfortunately had some bad luck with so I'm going to stay away from it.

How about this lighting, will it look good on the tank?
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=20413

I'd like to get rid of the lid-ish light I have now.
Vitae is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome