New(sort of)/need advice Top Fin 5 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
New(sort of)/need advice Top Fin 5

I haven't had a planted tank in years and when I did it was very low budget. I'm happy to spend the money to get this tank going and make some things automatic if I have to. I remember having a 2 liter bottle with a mix in order to get CO2. Well this time I'm happy to just get the needed tank for this small tank. (I really just don't want to have to constantly make that mix again)

I currently own the AIO 5 Gallon Top Fin tank. Which houses my Crown Tail Betta.

As of right now I know it'd need a lot of work for me to make it into a planted tank, which I'm totally willing to do. It is just your average fish tank with gravel some faux trees and a betta. I removed the false wall shown in the photo below and purchased a Top Fin 10 gallon filter system. I'm using the stock light which is loaded with LED's. I want to have a legit planted tank with driftwood, some beautiful plants flowing and carpet, I love how you guys carpet your tanks on this forum.

Is this possible? Or would it be better to get a 10 gallon long tank? I'd like to keep it rimless which this one is.

Basically I'm willing to go up in size if this will make my life easier.

One last part I own is my LED setup from when I owned a saltwater tank. This light setup helped my corals thrive. Would this work for me?

Here's my fish
http://imgur.com/a/GQebQ
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 03:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The size of the tank is fine. For your goals of carpeting I don't know if the stock light is sufficient, I would research into getting a new light. Maybe the Finnex Stingray Clip?
CO2 will also be quite important, but you can still without it with some plants, it will just be slow. Make sure you get a suitable substrate too, either fine inert sand or aquasoils (dirt with a cap is also good).
Also, if you are going the CO2 route look into fertilising regimes as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
The size of the tank is fine. For your goals of carpeting I don't know if the stock light is sufficient, I would research into getting a new light. Maybe the Finnex Stingray Clip?
CO2 will also be quite important, but you can still without it with some plants, it will just be slow. Make sure you get a suitable substrate too, either fine inert sand or aquasoils (dirt with a cap is also good).
Also, if you are going the CO2 route look into fertilising regimes as well.

So the LED setup from my old saltwater tank wouldn't work? It contains the proper blues and whites from CREE.

I'd be happy to setup CO2 just need to know how much I would need and what kind of equipment goes with it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
New(sort of)/need advice Top Fin 5

I'm not sure you will have to check on PAR ratings for that. Do you happen to know what model the light is?
Well you could go DIY (which I don't think is worth it) or pressurised. With pressurised you'll need a CO2 tank, tubing, solenoid regulator (if you want it automatic, if not just get a normal regulator), check valve, bubble counter (sort of optional), drop checker with 4dKH solution and indicator solution and a diffuser either inline, reactor or external. Sonce you have an inbuilt filter some of those options (inline) won't be available to you.
Your tank is quite small so whether CO2 is worth it in the end is up to you. There also small CO2 systems designed for nano tanks so I would research into that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode