Eclipse Corner 5 Heat from Light,O2 for creatures,catching fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eclipse Corner 5 Heat from Light,O2 for creatures,catching fish

Hello All,

Some of you may have seen the pics of my new Eclipse Corner 5 tank in the general forum. (My 1st planted tank)My end goal is to have CRS in this tank. For now to help speed cycling I have 2 sunburst platys. Next will probably be RCS. So far things are good, but I would like them to be a little better.

First is the issue with heat from my light. I changed the stock bulb to a 15w CF daylight. My water goes from about 74-ish with the light off, to 81-ish with it on. I was wondering what mods have been done out there to help combat this besides going topless? I was thinking of drilling some additional holes in the lid to allow for ventilation. But would this help enough? From what I gather CRS dont really like water that warm.

Next is O2 for fish, shrimp, etc... I am afraid that I am not getting enough due to only having the built in filter running. My driftwoods shape and size is right under the filter discharge, slightly out of the water so I dont know if it agitates enough to oxygenate the water much. This maybe a dumb question but...do plants help with this enough I shouldnt be worried? What about if/when I start dosing CO2? I was almost thinking of just adding an airstone in the back.

LAST question(For today) is about the fish. I dont think I will keep the Platys with the shrimp. But I already have a new home for them. How does one go about getting fish out of a tank without tearing it up in the process??? Is this a test of extreme patience and Karate kid style fly with chopsticks luck, or is there a better way?

Thanks everyone, and I hope all the mothers out there had a great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Man...100 views so far and no advice???
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Planted Member

Topless would be your best bet for keeping the temperatures down and running a fan across the surface. Or getting a regular t5 bulb which runs quite a bit cooler. Or perhaps venting the lid better and rig a fan to suck the hot air out.

Does your tank have a lot of skum on the surface from lack of movement?

For catching the fish you can either be very patient with a net or take two nets. Also you can try a clear container to try and catch them in they won't see it coming as well as a net.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
To catch fish easier do it after you drain the tank for a WC. Less room for the fish to run around in..

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi,
No my tank doesnt have a lot of scum on top(yet anyway). Also I have a coralife 50/50 (seems to run a little cooler)that came with the tank...also one in my kids tank and its not very bright. Neither is a regular incandescent.
Is the coralife a T5?
I think this week I'll try drilling some holes in the very top of the lid to vent and see if that helps.

Also what about needing an air pump for the fish while using the flourish excel???
Thx
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 04:03 AM
Algae Grower

Hi Ssantac!
I have a planted Eclipse Corner 5 and have never had a problem with it warming up, In fact I have to add a heater. That may be because my room temperature is lower than yours as I live in Vancouver, BC. My Eclipse came with a 15 W incandescent bulb and I switched it for a 7 Watt compact flourescent. My plants are growing very well. If your tank gets warm, before you drill more holes in the lid, why not try propping the lid open a quarter inch or so to see if that helps? If it doesn't help, switch your bulb.

I did try a 10 W Coralife 50/50 in my tank for awhile but didn't like it because it had a very blue, cold look. I don't think my plants liked it either but nothing died. Coralife makes an almost identical one for freshwater planted tanks that you could try. But the one I have is from the drugstore, 6400k, and it only cost $3.

I don't think that you will have to put very much Excel into that tank (I put it into my other tanks but not this one) and the filtration and aeration should be fine.

Can you post pictures once you have them? I look forward to seeing your tank!

Here's a pic of my 5 gallon Eclipse betta tank.
Attached Images

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
venting should work just fine for the heat issue,

I have a standard 5.5g with the plastic hood and 1 26wt and 1 15wt cfl 6500k bulbs in it and never get more than 2 degree's temp change per my digital thermo. The factory hood has several several small holes right above the light.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffgong View Post
To catch fish easier do it after you drain the tank for a WC. Less room for the fish to run around in..
Indeed, that's what I did when I had to catch a few fish out of my tank last night. I was amazed that I did so without uprooting any of my plants

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode