Help with my plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with my plants

Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes.

First question, I bought micranthemum monte carlo from my LFS, but I'm not sure if it's really monte carlo, or if it's HC Cuba, because the leaves seem sort of small to me

Second question, my plants keep dying, what am I doing wrong?
The monte carlo I have (if they really are monte carlo) are yellowing, my baby tears are also yellowing, and my mini christmas moss attached to porous red lava rock is also unhealthy.

Specs:
Tank size: 40x27x28cm
Lighting: 2 x 4W LED (you can see it here https://ecs7.tokopedia.net/img/produ...9557ff62a1.jpg)
Substrate: Sand + JBL Aquabasis underneath, ADA Aquasoil Amazonia normal size on top
Filter: Hang on back, 300L/hour (a bit too big for this tank)
Temp: 29-30 C
pH/KH/GH: no idea, I don't have the test kits, I use ground water
Fertilizers: occasionally I pump in liquid macronutrients
CO2: Tried DIY CO2 for 2 days, made a mistake in assembling the equipment, haven't tried again

The plants have been in there for about a week. Could the higher temps cause this? I read that ideally it should be around 24-27. How should I lower the temps?

Or is the lighting not enough? They seem very bright for me, but I'm not sure if this is classified as low/medium light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 05:15 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's both. For 30 litres tank it's really low light, you can have anubias, microsorium and other low light plants. High temp is a killer for most plants. Small computer fan will do the thing. Maybe try some easier plants?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
If your plants have only been in there for a week, they're probably still acclimating. Not that there couldn't be problems, but plants take a while to get settled in. You should really get the test kit for pH, KH, and GH, but maybe more importantly, for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate if you're planning on having any livestock. Your fertilizers should probably also be dosed in even amounts on a regular basis, not just "pumped in occasionally" if you want your plants to be healthy and to avoid algae blooms. 29-30C seems pretty hot, though, that's 84-86 degrees F, yeah? Why is your temperature so high, is that just the ambient air temperature, or are you actually heating it to that? If you're heating it to that, you can lower just by dialing back your heater and doing water changes, each a couple degrees lower than the last over a series of days. If it's just the ambient temperature, you might float ice cubes in plastic bags in your tank or look into buying a tank cooler if this is a persistent problem. Search "cool tank" or something on this forum and you'll find lots of suggestions (edit: a small fan on top would also work nicely, yeah).

How bright the light seems to you isn't a great measure of whether it's "enough" light for the tank or not. Check out this thread on lighting a tank with PAR: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...ead-watts.html

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Even when it looks really bright? How much light do you think I should have for this size? The rules of thumb are usually only available for tube lamps and not LED, so I'm not sure.

Will a small computer fan suffice? Keeping in mind that the ambient air temp is also quite high, since I live in a tropical climate. On a hot day it can go up to 33-35C
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanX View Post
Even when it looks really bright? How much light do you think I should have for this size? The rules of thumb are usually only available for tube lamps and not LED, so I'm not sure.

Will a small computer fan suffice? Keeping in mind that the ambient air temp is also quite high, since I live in a tropical climate. On a hot day it can go up to 33-35C
Again, look at the thread I linked you to. Also, look in the lighting forum, and try searching your make and model of light on google and this site for PAR data.

You might try the fan before resorting to more difficult/expensive options, but if your temperature is usually that hot, you might need something more heavy-duty to cool the tank.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright, will try the computer fan first. (Didn't see your post before I posted mine, geisterwald). A PAR meter is way over my budget right now, sadly. I'll just add more light until the plants are happy. I was planning for a low-tech tank really, so I hope this works.

In any case, what about my moss? I thought moss were a low-light plant? What's wrong with it?

Oh and one more bit of info, I think green algae is starting to appear on the tank walls

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode