ADA-M or Finnex 4 gallon? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
ADA-M or Finnex 4 gallon?

I'm looking to downsize even more now from my 20 gal long tank to a nano. I was looking at the ADa Mini M and was going to purchase that but I came along the Finnex 4 gallon. I like the fact that it comes with the light and filter (I already have a the Red sea nano HOB filter). $48 for the complete set is a great deal. If I were to get the ADA Mini M I would need to look for a light.

How does the finnex 4 gal tank compare to the ADA Mini M one? I know its a little bit smaller but what about the curves/finish of it?

OH and this is going to be a Shrimp only tank

Thanks

Do!Aqua Mini-M Shrimp Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
I would go with the Do!Aqua mini-m. Its like $20 cheaper than the ADA one and is basically the same thing. Then you can pick up the 27watt Hampton Bay light at Home Depot. I've never used the Finnex but the curved edges turn me off. Plus the mini-m holds over a gallon more water. Think about all those extra shrimp you could get in there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
This depends upon your $$ that you can spend. I have the Finnex 4 gallon with CRS in it and it works great. The filter that comes with it is pretty much worthless for a biological filter. So I switched to a ZooMed 501 mini canister filter and it works great. The only thing that I don't like about the small tanks with curved glass front corners is the curved corners take a couple inches away from your already small viewing area. One way you could avoid this is to put the curves in the back rather than the front.

Another direction that I'd point you to is the Mr Aqua tanks from Marine Depot. They have tanks starting around 3 gallons and on up. My favorite one is the 12" cube and its only $32 right now. The ZooMed 501 or Tom Rapids mini canister filters will work great on any of these 10 gallon and under tanks. One of these tanks and filter is still less money than the ADA tank. If money is not an issue the ADA tanks are really nice.

-
-

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

awesome. Thanks guys.. so the finnex DOES have curved corners.. which I didn't want. I like the sharp corners in the ADA ones. Actually I was looking at the DO!Aqua one and didnt even realize. :-)

I just placed my order for Mini-M. So excited!!! Just like my other tanks. I never ran with CO2 and I plan on doing the same. I'm trying to look for that Hampton Bay lamp but cant seem to find it. WOuld you happen to have a link?

Thanks!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-...8/nanotank.jpg

Thats what it looks like. It doesn't seem to be on home depot's website, but I have seen it in both HD's near me as recently as a couple weeks ago.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome. Thank you sir.

I ended up ordering the light from the Finnex 4 gal. Clip on. I will replace it with a DAYlight compact fluorescent bulb that I'm using in my other tank. Its nice and bright and gives full spectrum for the plants that I plan on housing.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
This seems to be an ADA-centric forum, so the vast majority of replies you'll get will be pro ADA-M.

As an owner of the Finnex myself (check my signature for the pictures), I've been quite happy with it. For the low price, you get an nice curved glass tank as well as a full-spectrum 26W light fixture that will allow you to grow nearly all the plants out there (except for low light ones). The filter is decent as well but you'll probably want to upgrade it for something more powerful (it's identical to the Red Sea nano).

edit: never mind, just saw your post about already ordering the ADA-M.

Tony

My

and my

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to FooDog
I got the finnex too. I got the one with the canister though. I'll post pics soon.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

+1 for Do!Aqua, they are very nice, and not priced all crazy...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode