Newly Planted Nano Aquarium
New to the forum, and new to planted aquariums. As such, I have a few questions that I can't seem to find answers too, or just need a second opinion(s).
To start, I have:
- Fluval Spec III 2.6-gallon
- 7.7 lbs Seachem Flourite Black Sand
- Stock 7000K high-output LED light (not sure of wattage)
- Gainor 45 watt LED full-spectrum grow light
- 25 watt Neo-Therm heater in filter area
- DIY CO2 (1/2 tsp of yeast, 1 tsp of baking soda, and 2 cups of sugar)
- Rhinox drop checker
- inTank Fluval Spec media basket w/sponge and Purigen
- Dwarf Baby Tears
- Staurogyne repens
- No fauna
- Seachem Nitrogen (5 drops 2 x week)
- Seachem Phosphorus (8 drops 2 x week)
- Seachem Potassium (10 drops 2 x week)
- Seachem Iron (5 drops every other day)
- Seachem Flourish (7 drops 1 x week)
- Seachem Flourish Excel (10 drops daily for hair algae)
I planted the tank on 17 July. As expected, the Staurogyne repens dropped their leaves (I assume they were grown emersed), however, the stems are healthy, rooting, and are starting to bounce back with some new growth. HC has experienced a slight bit of die back here and there, but not much. They are dropping roots, and seem to be adjusting slowly to the aquarium. I know HC isn't recommended for beginners, but I have my heart set on an HC carpet, and I have read everything I can on it (the repens also).
I can't find the wattage for the stock LED light, and worried that the HC wasn't getting enough light. They seemed to be growing up and not spreading (trying to carpet the repens and the HC), so I added the 45 watt grow light. As I hoped would not happen, the tank developed an algae problem within a few days of adding the grow light.
1. I know I don't have the wattage for the stock light, so it may not be possible to answer with any degree of accuracy, but I'll ask anyway (maybe someone knows the wattage of my light). Anyway, do you all think that I'm using too much light? If necessary, I can raise it higher above the tank to reduce the intensity.
2. Looking at the photos, can you all determine if I have hair algae? I had more of the stuff yesterday, until and spent about four hours removing as much as I could from the plants. I also removed a ridiculous quantity of dead Staurogyne repens leaves from the tank - the water went from slightly cloudy to Purigen-clear within a few hours. I am speculating that the rotting detritus was contributing to the algae bloom?
3. I am not sure how accurate the drop checker is, but the aquarium definitely looks to have too much CO2 for fish and shrimp (the color looks lower than the lowest reading on the color chart that came with the dropper). However, this amount should be fine to jump start the plants? I know that HC, in particular, thrives in high-light and high-CO2 conditions.
4. I have read that there are plants that are sensitive to Flourish Excel overdosing, but none of the sources actually list the plants. Is HC and Staurogyne repens sensitive to Flourish Excel overdosing? H2O2 overdosing? If safe, I would like to hit the algae with both. What would be safe amounts of each given the plants?
5. How does my ferts dosing look?
6. I have little white flatworms on my glass. Are they harmless?
I know I've posted a lot. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Koda; 08-14-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Reason: Trying to upload pics.