Another fluval - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Another fluval

edit

Last edited by mibro; 08-16-2010 at 06:31 AM. Reason: I'm reading more as I go on..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Everything in your list looks good so far.

I wouldn't get this tank for a betta. You could decrease the water level, but that ruins the cube effect of the tank. One of the draws of this tank is that you can view the fishes from the top surface. There are other fishes that are perfectly suitable for this tank.

Tony

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and my

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Algae Grower

I would not recommend a beta for the Edge, either. Betas need access the surface in order to take gulps of air. I think the design of the Edge would be to restrictive that type of fish. May I suggest galaxy danios or even some type of killi fish. Both are beautiful and make make great inhabitants for nano aquariums.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Algae Grower

As for plants, you could use java fern, jave moss and maybe anubias nana. All three seem to be quite popular with low light tanks and are all easy to grow.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm totally fine with getting micro rasboras or the galaxy danios(eh around the same thing) but have not a clue where to get them around my area in nevada. Those fish need to be in a really really well established tank? I heard they were pretty sensitive?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

In my experience, galaxy rasboras (celestial pearl danios) aren't as sensitive as many believe they are. They do well in soft to hard water with a wide range of pH (like any fish, stability is the key). The only challenge I had was finding a food that they'll take.

Finding a LFS that stocks them is difficult though.They are becoming increasingly more available, but they're far from being sold at Petsmart or Petco. You could check online but the prices I've seen are astronomical ($8.99 each at liveaquaria.com for instance). Is there a local fish club that you can inquire about breeders for these fishes?

Tony

My

and my

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i think most of my LFS's have the typical fishes or have rare ones that are too big so its a lose/lose thing. The clubs I'm not sure where one even is lol I don't mind ordering some over the net though but are they any other fishes you can recommended? Galaxy rasboras are very pretty but 8.99 is pretty steep for my first fish(es) lol

I'm trying to think of a nano fish you can easily find. Is there such a thing?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibro View Post
i think most of my LFS's have the typical fishes or have rare ones that are too big so its a lose/lose thing. The clubs I'm not sure where one even is lol I don't mind ordering some over the net though but are they any other fishes you can recommended? Galaxy rasboras are very pretty but 8.99 is pretty steep for my first fish(es) lol

I'm trying to think of a nano fish you can easily find. Is there such a thing?
Neons? Those are really easy to find.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 03:12 AM
Algae Grower

I had two endlers and about 10 cherry shrimp in my EDGE. They're awesome and seemed right at home in the tank.

I have since moved them to my 10g because I am remodeling the edge. They will go right back in once the tank is ready.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Algae Grower

I would not use neons for your edge. They can be very sensitive in new aquariums, especially small ones. You may have some luck with harliquine rasboras. They have been very hardy in my experiance and they stay about an inch long. I have also seen golden killis at pet smart but this would depend on the particular store.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 02:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Yeah, I wasn't really too sure about Neons, besides, they aren't what they used to be nowadays. Harlequins are a good choice too, a really good choice, I really like them for their little black triangle in the back, Celestial Pearl Danios for sure if you can get your hands on them, but if all else fails, make a shrimp tank!!!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have a small school of harlys in my Edge right now and I'm thinking of swapping them out for something else. As they grow I find that they do get slightly too big for the tank.

If you like the look of harlequins, you should consider Rasbora espei. They look and behave the same as harlys, but they max out at a smaller size. They shouldn't be too hard to find either.

Tony

My

and my

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode