• 2 Post By Quentin
  • 2 Post By FisheriesOmen
  • 2 Post By jaliberti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Is 7" too shallow?

So like the title states is 7" to shallow for shrimp and fish? From my search I found a thread on here from 2012 where somewhat had a 36x36x7 for shrimp only. Just wanted to see if anyone else had experience, I know the substrate would be low which would limit the plant options.

This is the tank, its 8 gallons at 23.6" x 11.8" x 7"
https://aqualabaquaria.com/collectio...ant=5687289732

I really wanted this 9.1 gallon tank and I ordered it but it's currently on backorder, with no shipping date in site. It was 9" deep which made me feel better.
AquaMaxx Long Cuboid Low-Iron Aquarium

Lastly I was also looking at the Mr. Aqua 6.5 which is actually deeper than the above 8 gallon at 9.4" but its just 6" wide and I kind of wanted something in the 8-11gal range. Upgrading from a Finnex 4g.

If the 7" is too shallow I may budge and get a Mr. Aqua 12 since I found it on one site, for cheaper than the tanks above. I just don't know if I want a tank that large. If anyone else has experience or can point me to similar tanks I would appreciate it.
Fdot45 and Fdot45 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
I have the same 8g as the first one you linked and it is the favorite tank I have right now by far. It should be good for shrimp as I have had fish in it and there is no reason shrimp should need more height than the fish. I'll try and post a picture of it.

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

TaylorTurner and TaylorTurner like this.

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 10:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
You ask 'is 7" to shallow for shrimp and fish' but you don't specify which species. That depth is ideal for most Labyrinth/Anabantoid species, e.g. gourami, betta, etc. It's conducive to breeding.

On another note, is this project for aesthetic purposes? If not, it's a waste of money. $100 (as noted in the provided link) for a surface area of 23.6" x 11.8" vs for example $40 for a tank with a surface area of 48.3" x 12.8" (40 gallon tank)

Then just simply fill the 40 gallon with only 7" of water. This would also give the option of increasing the depth at some point in the future, should you ever change your mind or simply want to try another project. <$100 could even buy two 40g tanks each with a surface area of 48.3" x 12.8"

Surface area trumps volume. >Twice the bioload of shrimp and fish for <$ than the 8g
TaylorTurner and TaylorTurner like this.

I notice a troubling trend in modern aquarium keepers, where the measure of welfare seems to be steeped solely in terms of survival: if the fishes live, things are good, if the fishes die, things are bad. It is an inappropriate position to take. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisheriesOmen View Post
I have the same 8g as the first one you linked and it is the favorite tank I have right now by far. It should be good for shrimp as I have had fish in it and there is no reason shrimp should need more height than the fish. I'll try and post a picture of it.
Oh nice! I figured shrimp being so small wouldn't have any problem. Fish I figured maybe would want more vertical sapce. Currently I have 2 tetras in my Finnex 4g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaliberti View Post
You ask 'is 7" to shallow for shrimp and fish' but you don't specify which species. That depth is ideal for most Labyrinth/Anabantoid species, e.g. gourami, betta, etc. It's conducive to breeding.

On another note, is this project for aesthetic purposes? If not, it's a waste of money. $100 (as noted in the provided link) for a surface area of 23.6" x 11.8" vs for example $40 for a tank with a surface area of 48.3" x 12.8" (40 gallon tank)

Then just simply fill the 40 gallon with only 7" of water. This would also give the option of increasing the depth at some point in the future, should you ever change your mind or simply want to try another project. <$100 could even buy two 40g tanks each with a surface area of 48.3" x 12.8"

Surface area trumps volume. >Twice the bioload of shrimp and fish for <$ than the 8g
Currently I just have tetras but would probably pick up a few more small fish once I get the new tank. Aesthetics is the driving force, I want a slim and long rimless tank. I know I can get a bigger standard tank for less money although I'm not sure if I can get a larger rimless for less. But if you know of anything with a long rectangle shape in the $100 range that I'm missing please point me in that direction.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Blue-Pro.../dp/B00BUFTDNO
Normally these would cost ~$50
We picked up 2 on Craigslist for <1/2 the original price. 18-Inch Length By 5-Inch Width By 7-Inch Height

Set aside 1 or 2 minutes each day for Craigslist. Frag tanks are listed in our area a few times a year. People are frequently getting out of the expensive, high-maintenance saltwater hobby. Frag tanks, just in case you are unfamiliar, are shallow tanks with large surface areas normally used for coral fragments. See some images on google.

I notice a troubling trend in modern aquarium keepers, where the measure of welfare seems to be steeped solely in terms of survival: if the fishes live, things are good, if the fishes die, things are bad. It is an inappropriate position to take. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode