Just bought an Edge, and I have questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just bought an Edge, and I have questions

I just bought an Edge tank. I have had about 3 salt water tanks and got this for my daughter when I realized she couldn't reach in and mess with the fish! Great design.

The last freshwater tank I had was 20 years ago, so I have a few questions. I am most drawn to minimalist setups with HC and 3 rocks with some neons, and a couple shrimp. This is what I want to do, but I am not sure I am up for the HC challenge with an Edge.

How hard is maintenance for HC? And more specifically in an Edge? Is CO2 required, or can it be done without CO2 in an Edge? How expensive are CO2 setups? Do I need to upgrade the lighting to an MR11?

The lady at the fish store was telling me I couldn't do HC, but there was a decent alternative. What are the alternatives for HC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
I would try either glosso or dwarf hair grass.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've seen moss being used as a carpeting plant in an iwagumi-style setup. It gives the same effect as HC but fills out much faster and doesn't require high light and CO2. You might even be able to get away with the stock halogens (but the LED upgrade is highly recommended for heat reasons).

HC is a plant I wouldn't try on the Edge unless you're prepared to re-rig it the entire light set up and get pressurized CO2 (or keep up with the hassle of DIY CO2).

Tony

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and my

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
If you have any Edge specific questions, check out this forum: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...ge-thread.html
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
I've seen moss being used as a carpeting plant in an iwagumi-style setup. It gives the same effect as HC but fills out much faster and doesn't require high light and CO2. You might even be able to get away with the stock halogens (but the LED upgrade is highly recommended for heat reasons).

HC is a plant I wouldn't try on the Edge unless you're prepared to re-rig it the entire light set up and get pressurized CO2 (or keep up with the hassle of DIY CO2).
What he said.

I'm growing HC in an edge, but running 26W (2 x 13W) of CFL lighting, pressurized CO2 and ferts. I suspect you could get away with 18W of CFL lighting (the next thing I'm going to try) but not 13W (I tried this and lets just say my HC was not pleased).

HC maintenance is a bit of a chore. I suspect this is true in any tank but, given the small opening in the Edge, its incrementally more challenging. A couple things in this regard that willl help: i) scape the tank so that you preserve access to all areas (conceptually, make sure you reach all of the corners of the tank with a chopstick inserted through the access hole); ii) DIY a water change siphon that can surface skim (because you can't net the clippings as you could in an open top tank).

If you like the look of HC, there's really no alternative. But its a higher maintenance plant whether in an Edge or another tank. I'm in the process of setting up a bigger tank that will definitely have alot of HC and thus trying to see if there might be a lower maintenance alternative for the Edge.

Check out FatGuy's journal for a really cool moss setup.

45g ADA 90p (early days)
2g Do!Aqua cube (unplanted for now)

Edge Tuning: 26W lighting conversion -
-
-
- lunar lights
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Thanks Tuonor!

I agree with all of the above. The big challenge is getting your hand into the tank and the limits of the lighting setup. I just rescaped...because I'm crazy neurotic when it comes to moving the rocks around. I'll post some pics when I get the chance. Moss carpets are fun if you want to go in that direction.

-el g

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuonor View Post
I'm growing HC in an edge, but running 26W (2 x 13W) of CFL lighting, pressurized CO2 and ferts. I suspect you could get away with 18W of CFL lighting (the next thing I'm going to try) but not 13W (I tried this and lets just say my HC was not pleased).
Would the LED + 10W from walmart that people are using not be enough for HC? What about the LED upgrade to MR16 + 10W from walmart? If not, I may have to go the same route you are going and get a Catalina light.

Quote:
If you like the look of HC, there's really no alternative.
That is the thing! I really like the look of HC, especially in a small tank. I don't think there is any substitute. So I guess I will have to deal with the maintenance issues.
Quote:
Check out FatGuy's journal for a really cool moss setup.
Very nice setup FatGuy! I really like what you have done. I will be subscribing and watching your tank closely.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode