TopFin 5 gallon - home to Saitama - The Planted Tank Forum
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
TopFin 5 gallon - home to Saitama

Good morning folks. I thought I'd share the a few shots of my new betta, Saitama aka One Punch Man. First a little background. My wife was looking on a neighborhood facebook page and saw that someone was giving away their 5 gallon setup for free. She asked if I wanted it and we brought it home. There were some hard water stains on the tank and even after all the scrubbing and vinegar, I couldn't get it off. That, and I would have to get new equipment for it because the filter was loud, and I didn't care for the bulky plastic hood. I decided not to use it.

During that time, my LFS posted a picture of a new betta he had brought in (among a few others), saying that he was now going to directly import from Taiwan. I was never a huge betta guy before, mainly because I felt their breeding and housing practices were unethical. However, when I saw this guy, I was amazed at how beautiful he looked. Coincidentally, Petsmart had a sale on their TopFin 5 gallon all-in-one, and there was an additional 10% for ordering online and pick-up at store. Perfect timing! Walked out the door with the tank for $36 plus tax.

Went to the LFS the next day to browse at their selection, not expecting he would still be there and brought him home after we saw him. (I took biomedia and sponge from my other tanks, along with 50% tank water and 50% new water).

If you don't know, One Punch Man is a fictional character that can defeat his enemies with one punch. This betta definitely KO'd me after I saw his first picture, then even more so when we saw him at the LFS. The owner was definitely attached to this guy.

I have some anubias nana petite arriving tomorrow. Planning on keeping it simple. Thanks for looking!
Opare, Opare, Econde and 11 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 01:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The betta looks awesome, man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Algae Grower

Gorgeous Betta. Nice clean tank I'm sure he'll enjoy the new plants coming.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 06:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (17/100%)
That tank looks pretty slick for the price, the betta is breathtaking and very aptly named, hardscape is awesome, keeping it simple is a great idea, leaves the focus on Saitama. Please keep scale in mind as well. Looking forward to this. Good work ..
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Does anyone have any suggestions for other plants I could use to keep the scale? Is a carpet plant possible with no CO2? Was planning on keeping it low tech.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Bucephalandras

7g Cube -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had thought about putting buces in. From what I know, they are similar to anubias in that they are rhizome plants, and like lower light. Anything else?
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 07:15 PM
Algae Grower

I think hydrocotyle tripartita might be a good plant that will carpet but doesn't need high light and co2. Staurogyne repens might do but I think it is a fussier plant. Marsilea crenata might bee a good option too. Hope that helps. Great tank and beta! As a long time mma fan I wondered if you had been/are a fan of the old Pride MMA org. in Japan. They often held events at the Saitama Super Arena. Looking forward to seeing what you do. Keep us posted.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (17/100%)
How about a moss carpet? Taking broken up pcs of slate tile and either gluing moss on or using bath mesh or hair net to secure it. Mini pellia, mini Xmas, peacock etc would be good options.

Bump: Or a Riccia carpet...
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them to see what i can work with. I've tried S. repens, but didnt have luck with it in my 36 gal, but i might try it again. I haven't had much luck with many stem plants in general.

I've had my history with MMA. I used to watch the UFC in its infancy early-mid 90s, then i stopped, then i watched again, but now haven't really followed. Ive not watched anything outside if the UFC really.
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I really like the idea of a moss carpet. I've got plenty of java moss, but I like the look of mini pellia, or mini xmas moss, or maybe even flame moss.

So if I were to do a mesh, would I just get one 2x2 and let it spread that way? or would I need to divide it up into smaller pieces and spread it around the tank?

Love your tanks and they will love you back
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead View Post
I had thought about putting buces in. From what I know, they are similar to anubias in that they are rhizome plants, and like lower light. Anything else?
They grow under both high light and lower light. I have a high light tank with both buces and anubias petite. The anubias is tied to branches some very close to the the light source. Both are thriving and flowering.
Opare and Opare like this.

7g Cube -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

DHG and Monte Carlo *may* carpet in low tech, but it will probably be really slow. I would also suggest some of the lower demand stems like R. rotundifolia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I haven't had luck with DHG either lol. I have not tried Monte Carlo, but if there is only a chance that it might grow, then i probably won't waste the money to try. I don't have much of a green thumb it appears.

post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Added anubias nana petite. Images are from left, center, right views.

I'd like to add more ground cover and was actually thinking some bunches of Staurogyne repens scattered about. I'm not sure if the stock light provided will grow something like that though. What do you think?
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode