Under Gravel Heater Cables for nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Under Gravel Heater Cables for nano

Has anyone used an under gravel heating cable for the heat source in their Nano? Nano's are soo small that all that precious space is valuable and I would prefer not to have an ugly heater inside my little aquarium. Plus there are alleged benefits to using these. Are there any small enough to use for a Nano that will provide all the heating you need? Or are they all so powerful that they will just fry the water.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated as I am heavily considering this for my nano project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 06:10 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKappa View Post
Plus there are alleged benefits to using these. .
Alleged, not proven. I think undergravel cable heaters are an unnecessary expense. That and your plant roots will inevitably get tangled in them.

Rather than using an undergravel heater, take a look at AquaDean's DIY project here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...odule-56k.html

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Haha I know they are not proven, that is why I wrote alleged. But it would be nice to have a nearly completely hidden heater in the aquarium. The money is not too much of an issue and rescaping a tiny aquarium is easy so I'm not too worried about the roots getting tangled.

AquaDeans project looks great but I am a horrible DIY'er and I would prefer just to dish out some $$. I am really just wondering if there are any small enough for aquariums under 5g.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
They do make commercially available in-line heaters if you're willing to spend the $$$, but that of course means you'll probably need a canister filter (thus more $) too.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I will be using a canister filter so that's a really good idea but I haven't seen any with a low wattage. I think the smallest one I have seen would be for a 29g aquarium.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use a Hydor 200W in line heater on my 4 gallons and I have no problems with it so far. I set it on the heater at 70F and it gives me a constant water temperature of 77F.

Tony

My

and my

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Most use those tiny 2.5W heat mats, better than sticks, flow through units etc.

The idea of cables is a bad idea on a few levels, if it is about getting stuff out of a tank, the the mat is the best solution for a nano.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...niheater75watt

Cables do not do what are claimed, no one to date, and after what? 25 years now, has shown otherwise. Only vendors claims..nothing for support other than this.

I've challenged many to this, test, experimental designs etc.
Not one has come forth with any evidence or test, heck even a little bit of knowledge on the topic.

But they keep making and marketing them.
They do heat the water, that's about it, like any heater.
The rest? Rubbish.

However, for a nano tank, the heat mats make a lots of sense, not due to cable "quackery", rather......ease of use for such a small tank.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies everyone!

TLE041: Do you use the hydor in line heater with your 2211? Where can you find a 2211 these days? I wanted to use one but I thought they were discontinued. I have a Zoo Med 501 kickin around. Does the Hydor make a unit that fits these hoses? Does anyone know if they share the same size hose as a 2211?

plantbrain: Actually I have one of those little heater mat's kickin around! I used it in the past but I didn't like it because I find it is hard to keep the mat flush with the bottom of the aquarium and it can get pulled up easily and is hard to re bury. I guess it's silly of me to think this won't happen with heating cables. The only other thing I dislike about this is the cord is very stiff and hard to keep nice and tidy flush with the side of the aquarium as it only comes with 1 suction cup.

I think I am going to try out the in line heater. I heavily considering this route with my 55g as well. If all else fails I will have to turn to the Hydor mini heater. I wonder if I could somehow set a little Marineland 10w or this Hydor 7.5w into a canister filter to keep it hidden.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Can't you put the mat UNDER the tank, rather than in it?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Sorry, didn't look at what I was talking about. Wasn't what I envisioned. I think a reptile tank heater with a controller would do a good job.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks overstocked. That is another good Idea I should explore.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 04:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKappa View Post
TLE041: Do you use the hydor in line heater with your 2211? Where can you find a 2211 these days? I wanted to use one but I thought they were discontinued. I have a Zoo Med 501 kickin around. Does the Hydor make a unit that fits these hoses? Does anyone know if they share the same size hose as a 2211?
I got the 2211 from eBay. It's still for sale there.

The 1/2" version of the Hydor heater will fit the tubing that comes with the 2211 fine.

Tony

My

and my

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode