zeldar's 2.5gallon "cave" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
zeldar's 2.5gallon "cave"

Well, I was going to tear this 2.5gallon down, but just didn't have the heart to do it. I left the HC and marsilea minuta in there from the last scape because I was just going to use it as a emmersed setup to grow some plants. Then I had an idea to do a cave scape using some seiryu rocks from boink.

I added some clippings of mini pellia to the top of the rocks. I don't know how they will do since it dries out pretty fast but I am trying to keep it misted 2-3 times a day. Hopefully it will attach itself to the rocks in the next couple weeks. There is also MP lining the front of the rocks. I also threw some HM clippings in the back, behind the rocks. Hopefully, this will create a "forest" with the cave leading into it. I may move some Rotala mini Type 2 into here on the right side of the rocks; I'll wait and see.

On the right side of the scape is a nice HC carpet. I don't know if I am going to keep this as is or try to add a small manzy stump with lots of small branches coming off it.

I want to try a small canister filter on this tank. Either the Tom Rapids mini or the small Zoo Med. I have never used a canister before so I need some suggestions on which to use. Alright on to the specs and pictures.

Tank: standard 2.5gallon
Light: JEBO clip on 13watt
Fliter: tom rapids or zoo med
substrate: Aquasoil II and used Eco Complete on the bottom
co2: DIY with glass diffuser
Flora: HC, marsilea minuta, mini pellia, rotala mini type2, HM, more to be added
Fauna: no idea

you can kinda see the cave in the middle of the rocks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 01:56 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks good so far!

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 02:52 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Nice rock(s). The HC looks good, too

-Chris

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 05:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is an awesome rock. I think it would look best placed just off center though instead of in the corner.

"zeldar... from planet beldar... our leader is zeldar... and we shop at walmart" LOL
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 05:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
omg i love that freakin rock! I just started up a 2.5 gal with some ug growing emeresed. You have quite a good start dude! cant wait to see it in a few weeks.

Also i recommend the zoo med, ive had it for almost a month and now its super quiet and works great.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
I think you should keep the HC carpet as is, the additional stump may take too much away from that awesome cave you've got as the focal point. Unless it's small enough to place close to the cave to accent it.
It really looks great so far!
Oh, maybe you could make it into a riparium for crabs! Or not...

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Deactivated

PTrader: (48/100%)
it looks great, the Marsilea may trouble the mini pellia if you are not careful. Personally I wouldnt include it where it is as it will visually block the mini-pellia a bit to much. It is going to be a lovely setup, a nice pair of CPOs would look great in that tank.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marrow View Post
it looks great, the Marsilea may trouble the mini pellia if you are not careful. Personally I wouldnt include it where it is as it will visually block the mini-pellia a bit to much. It is going to be a lovely setup, a nice pair of CPOs would look great in that tank.
I know what CPDs are, but what are CPOs? Keep seeing it around...

post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks guys!

sirkappa, devin dropped a new cd on 4/20 haha It is damn good too.

Yea, I don't know if I am still going to add the stump piece, just depends if I find the perfect piece.

marrow, that minuta has been growing at a snail's pace. It has been growing for at least 7 months and thats as far as its gotten. But I agree, it doesn't really fit in this scape.

becks, CPO's are orange dwarf crawfish. I have a pair in my 10 gallon and they are super awesome. I have counted 3 youngins in there as well and the female is berried again so I will prob add a couple to this 2.5gal. I just don't know if there are enough hiding places in here for them.

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Deactivated

PTrader: (48/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldar View Post
thanks guys!
marrow, that minuta has been growing at a snail's pace. It has been growing for at least 7 months and thats as far as its gotten. But I agree, it doesn't really fit in this scape. .
It is interesting that it is still in submerged state and hasnt switched to the clover form yet. Its always been a weed for me. I can just see a little pair of CPO's taking over the cave, having offspring, sending them to nursery school and then cray kindergarten, oh sorry I got ahead of myself there.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I made some changes to the tank recently. THe marsilea minuta was taken out of here and replaced with more mini pellia. I've had some mini marsilea minuta for a while but it has never really taken off. I just threw some in the crack of the rock on the right to see what might happen. There were also several stems of rotala mini type 2 added behind the rocks. and some fissidens on the far left. I am ordering some staurogyne 049 and am going to put 3-4 stems on the right side of the rock formation

fts

close up of mini pellia

rotala mini type2

inside the cave

mini MM

fissidens

blimp view

post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
lookin good! You have so much mini pellia!
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Planted Member

This set up is NICE!!!

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Awesome rock cave! I'd skip the manzy and just leave the right side open as you have it. I think it looks great as is.

45g ADA 90p (early days)
2g Do!Aqua cube (unplanted for now)

Edge Tuning: 26W lighting conversion -
-
-
- lunar lights
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Planted Member

The rock used is amazing, really suits the scape

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode