What fish or invertebrates eat snails? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By mrnvgtr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question What fish or invertebrates eat snails?

More specifically, what fish or invertebrates that would thrive in my Mini M (21L) tank eat snails? Nearing the end of my dry-start I noticed a few small snails, but just didn't feel like hunting and pecking around for them. Now that I've flooded the tank, the rest have come out of the woodwork and I'm thinking my first addition of fauna should be something that would have a field day with the snails. I've heard about Assassin Snails. I'd prefer to stay away from snails for aesthetic reasons. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnvgtr View Post
More specifically, what fish or invertebrates that would thrive in my Mini M (21L) tank eat snails? Nearing the end of my dry-start I noticed a few small snails, but just didn't feel like hunting and pecking around for them. Now that I've flooded the tank, the rest have come out of the woodwork and I'm thinking my first addition of fauna should be something that would have a field day with the snails. I've heard about Assassin Snails. I'd prefer to stay away from snails for aesthetic reasons. Any ideas?
A lot of loaches will eat snails as well as puffers.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 07:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I think for your size tank, assassin snails are the best choice, maybe some small loaches.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:55 PM
Planted Member

A dwarf freshwater puffer would be great! You would just need to move him out before adding any other fish.

Ain't nothin' better than a dwarf puffer to greet you at the door!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
A Betta would eat them, but not to the point of extinction. There would still be some, but they usually get big enough to pick out by hand. But then you would have to resign yourself to keeping a spoiled only child in your tank.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 09:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
I think for your size tank, assassin snails are the best choice, maybe some small loaches.
Agreed. You would only need maybe 1-2 Assassin Snails to completely wipe out other snails in a tank that size.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Of the ones suggested, I like the idea of dwarf puffers or loaches. However, in researching dwarf Puffers, it sounds like they're the ultimate snail killers but that would pretty much limit me to that one species. I think with loaches I have more possibilities with compatible tank mates. Thanks for the ideas!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnvgtr View Post
Of the ones suggested, I like the idea of dwarf puffers or loaches. However, in researching dwarf Puffers, it sounds like they're the ultimate snail killers but that would pretty much limit me to that one species. I think with loaches I have more possibilities with compatible tank mates. Thanks for the ideas!
Keep in mind most loaches are social fish, and do best in groups. In that small of an aquarium, you may be looking at a species-only setup.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I really can't recommend loaches in a 21L tank, there's no species that can live in a groups in a tank that small. Assassin snails are definitely the way to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 20 gal low tech Dutch
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

In my head all this time, I was actually thinking more like dwarf loaches. Agreed that loaches in general get too large for my tank. How about the much smaller dwarf loaches?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Actually, I'm finding the Dwarf Chain Loach and Zebra Loach are still quite large for my setup. However, check this out.

Rosy Loach (25 - 30mm)

Panda Loach (50 - 60mm)

Varmint and Varmint like this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 12:21 AM
Algae Grower

I wouldn't rule out assassin snails if I were you. It won't take many to wipe out your snail population and afterwards you can always pick them out of the tank.

Just make sure you don't have snails in your filter. I've had that happen before and after I thought they were wiped out they just came right back.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 01:02 PM
Algae Grower

I had a couple of dwarf loaches. They didn't eat a single snail as far as I could tell. They did nip at other fish though.

I had much better luck with assassin snails. They cleaned out the pond snails I had and I haven't seen a new one in several weeks at least.

Plus, it's easier to remove assassins if you want (say to have nerites down the road) rather than trying to catch a loach.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Planted Member

Fish that I've witnessed eating snails in 3 gallon (11L) tanks: Betta splendens, Macropodus opercularis, Gambusia holbrooki, Brachyrhaphis terrabensis. Thrive? I've bred the 1st 3 in 3g tanks. (I consider breeding thriving.)

I notice a troubling trend in modern aquarium keepers, where the measure of welfare seems to be steeped solely in terms of survival: if the fishes live, things are good, if the fishes die, things are bad. It is an inappropriate position to take. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode