2.5g Moss Machine - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5g Moss Machine

Miss my 15g goldfish tank from years ago, so now I'm setting up a betta small betta tank.. with java moss! Advice would be appreciated.

Currently:
2.5 g, red sea nano filter (going to turn the flow all the way down when betta arrives)
heater, not a lot of watts don't remember specifics
java moss
driftwood
sweet plastic dinosaur skull
a bunch of snails that showed up probably with plants (pond snails if my googling is accurate)

It's in a west facing room near windows so it gets some decent afternoon sunlight, but not overly sunny. I'd love the java moss to fill out the tank, should I break out with a light/co2 rig/fertilizer or is java moss such an easy plant that I shouldn't worry? I already have a bit of algae growing on the skull and a hint of it on the walls of the tank, does this mean I need to up the co2 levels? I've been contemplating putting together a yeast dealie to tie into my filter.

Being patient so the tank can cycle nicely and not mess with the betta. The betta should act as snail control, right? There are a ton. I figure the bigger ones won't get eaten and the smaller ones will be delicious snacks.

Should I think about aeration? Would aeration bring in co2? The filter makes an alright amount of surface agitation right now, but it's going full blast cause there's no betta in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
The Java moss should be fine. It can grow in a glass jar on a window sill with just water top offs.

You might have to crush the snail shell before the betta will eat it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Chimonanthus praecox seeds. PM me.

:
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
Bettas can't eat snails, but they'll sure try.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wouldnt worry about cycling before u put the betta in she/he will be fine from the beginning just do weekly water changes
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 03:59 PM
sandie

I Have a betta in 2.5 and it only gets light from the window. I never do more than feed him, and change 50% of the water once a week. Ido have to prune at least 1 every 10 days. I have alot of plants in with him but the moss is growing like crazy. I have to crush the snails for him. Here is what I have in with him plant wise,
Crypt red
Dwarf sag
Riccia floating
Java moss
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tips. I still might end up picking up/building some extra stuff along the way, but it's nice to know I can keep it the way it is atm.

The betta will definitely eat the snail eggs, right? I don't mind a few snails, but more and more keep showing up each day.

Also, I live in Brooklyn and I don't trust the tap water. Anyone else use bottled water in their nano? Poland Springs is $1/gal across the street from my apartment and with a 2.5g tank, the cost really isn't bad. Should I be treating this water for anything?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

NYC tap is pretty good. I don't treat it with anything at all, I just give it a few days in a bucket for the chlorine to dissipate. This way also lets the water get to room temperature so I don't have to worry about the temperature right out of the faucet.

Free Chimonanthus praecox seeds. PM me.

:
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

update: yeast gatorade bottle co2 rig piped into my filter!

Next up, light to go with my timer and most importantly, a betta!

maybe some pics later...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got a betta! Rescue mission from the dollar store type place down the street. Went in looking for a light and came out with a fish.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blarg View Post
Also, I live in Brooklyn and I don't trust the tap water. Anyone else use bottled water in their nano? Poland Springs is $1/gal across the street from my apartment and with a 2.5g tank, the cost really isn't bad. Should I be treating this water for anything?
I have heard all my life that NYC water is among the best in the country!

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 11:44 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

^thats because it is..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode