New Member & Plant Questions - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Member & Plant Questions

Hi all, new member here looking to read, learn more and admire other's aquascapes.

I have an empty Mr Aqua 12g (90cm x 20cm x 24cm, 45l) tank which I am unsure of what to do with.

I'm in two minds at the moment, either put together an Iwagumi scape using ADA Amazonia Normal, Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' and Seiryu Stone, or plant out the tank in a Dutch scape design.

I'm not overly fussed about live stock to go in to the tank, but am thinking maybe a Male Fighter and some Red Cherry Shrimp.

Questions are, what plants can I use to display in a tank with such small depth?

Currently thinking that Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' in the foreground, Hemianthus glomeratus micranthemoides, Micranthemum umbrosum.

Could members here with more knowledge than myself suggest smaller stemmed plants, or normal stemmed plants with smallish leaves that could be used in such a small size tank please.

Have also considered Limnophila repens mini, Bacopa sp. Japan, Limnophila sp mini 'Vietnam', would these be suitable?

What other plants could be used? Any Rotalas, Ludwigias, any others?

I'm not much of a fan of Mosses, so would prefer not to use it.

Lighting is an Up Aqua Z series LED, filtration is a Eheim 2213, substrate is ADA Amazonia Normal, using liquid CO2.

Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 10:17 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

This long thread focuses on the 12 long tank - lots of ideas and lots of pictures:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...-see-here.html
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Welcome to TPT!

This long thread focuses on the 12 long tank - lots of ideas and lots of pictures:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...-see-here.html
Hi OVT, yeah been looking through that section, some nice stuff, just unsure on what plants to use, small leaved stem plants mainly.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 09:57 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Well, I had that tank for a couple of years and the depth did get in my way.

My advise is to first decide on the look you want as that will make some choices a lot clearer.
Based on your description, the following plants will do fine and are some of my favorite: DHG, Blyxa Japonica, Bacopa virieties, regular Baby Tears, Althernathera regular / mini, Mayaca, Hygro kompact / simanensis, Ludwidgia sp red, S. repens, for stem plants, and a ton more.

I personally like the jungle look, with some plants draping across the suface. Then rotala green / false indica / colorata.

In the end, doing the research and trying different plants and scapes are part of the fun of this hobby. Otherwise, you might as well hire somebody to do a "turn key" tank for you. That was my reason for posting that link - learn from others and then contribute back.
Darkthrone and Darkthrone like this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

I've decided that the Mr Aqua 12g is going to be a Micranthemum sp. Monte Carlo Iwagumi, seeing the tank is 90cm x 20cm x 23cm I think the dimensions are perfect for this sort of scape, so am thinking ADA Amazonia, Micranthemum sp. Monte Carlo, Seiryu Stone, not sure if to start with a DSM or to flood straight away though.

I have a small Aqua One Horizon (50cm x 20cm x 30cm), I'm thinking of planting out into something lush, bushy, so seeing the tank is so small, I'm thinking small leaved, stem plants.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

I really have no idea what to do, no idea what plants to use, no idea of where to put what, just a bit lost at the moment, just really want to put together two really nice looking display tanks to have in the home, no idea where to start.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I have found that it is best for me to start out with just learning the basics of a planted tank. How much substrate to use, how to clean it, how to get it into the tank, how to set out the plants of various kinds, how to add the water, what kinds of rocks work best, how to use wood in the aquascape, how to manage the filtration and lighting, etc. For me, that meant starting with lower light, with fast growing stem plants, with cheap substrate, etc. When I reached the point where I didn't feel a need to look up something everytime I did something, I could then start looking at other plants, other substrates, etc. Eventually, I could begin thinking about making a nice aquascape.

This isn't the only way to start the hobby, and probably not the best way for everyone, but I never stopped enjoying what I was doing while doing this. If I had struggled from the start with higher light, specific plants, a well aquascaped tank, etc. I suspect I would have dropped the hobby.

Perhaps the best thing I ever did was watch experienced planted tank people going through setting up tanks, doing maintenance, etc. So, joining a local planted tank group, and trying to get to watch them do their thing, can be a very big help, much better than just reading about it.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode