6 gallon edge reboot - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By fermentedhiker1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
6 gallon edge reboot

I never could get it so I was happy with it so I scrapped it and redid it(well partly at this point)

replaced the mgops and capped it with black diamond blasting grit instead of the eco-complete I used last time. Used the same seiryu stone but reorganized them to hopefully block less light

I still have to finish cleaning the glass and reset some of the sand as the aquaclear dug a hole when I turned it on(forgot to reduce the flow first) Also need to drain some of the water out and level it a bit.

I'm replacing the carbon with a 100ml bag of purigen and I'll be replacing the fluval biomaxx with seachem matrix at some point.

[IMG]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/fermentedhiker
/20160709_132359_zpsgk8v2si4.jpg[/IMG]

The plan is to surround the central mound with crypt parva.
The rest of the outside portions will be marsilea minuta.
I'm hoping to get Glosso to grow directly under the light on the mound itself. Hopefully Metricide dosing will be enough.

For livestock I was leaning toward a colony Red Rilli and a small group of CPD. I'd love a group of Thai micro crabs but they don't seem to last very long and I'm not all about throwing money away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

For algae control I was thinking three of the "dwarf" nerites. 1 each(so hopefully little to know egg laying) of Bumble bee, tri color, and Clithon "sun". All of which max out at 1/4"

Does that seem like overkill in a 6 gallon tank or not enough. I know the Rilli will eat some as well. Would a single Amano be a good idea or too likely to be a bully in such a small tank?

Will it look better to stick with just one shrimp colony or would another unrelated species be OK? Malawa or Sulawesi maybe?
ceesquared10 and ceesquared10 like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedhiker1 View Post
For algae control I was thinking three of the "dwarf" nerites. 1 each(so hopefully little to know egg laying) of Bumble bee, tri color, and Clithon "sun". All of which max out at 1/4"

Does that seem like overkill in a 6 gallon tank or not enough. I know the Rilli will eat some as well. Would a single Amano be a good idea or too likely to be a bully in such a small tank?

Will it look better to stick with just one shrimp colony or would another unrelated species be OK? Malawa or Sulawesi maybe?
Maybe others can comment more definitively, but my nerite snails are poop machines and add quite significantly to bioload. You also have to make sure to have enough algae or food for them or they will starve.

On the flip side, amano and similar shrimp put a negligible bioload on your tank. Unless you really like snails, I'd personally go with more shrimp than snails. I do love watching both, but I think the shrimp have more character

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Interesting, I never had any issues with Nerite poop. I find they do a much better job of keeping the glass clean than anything else I've kept. Which is extra important in the Edge because it's so hard to work in. It seems to me the shrimp do a better job of cleaning the hardscape and such of hair/turf/filament algae while the snails do a better job at GSA and biofilm.

I ordered a cobalt neotherm 25W from Amazon. I was using one of those 15W flat "betta" always on heaters under the substrate but it looked pretty well worn and I never liked the fact that it didn't shut off if the tank got up to temp. I would've had to buy a temp controller this time to be happy with it so I just spent a little more and got the neotherm.

I ordered some Marsilea, glosso, and baby leaf bolbitis from Bartohog last night. The bolbitis is to fill in one of the back corners as well as provide some more substantial cover for the CPD's and shrimp.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedhiker1 View Post
Interesting, I never had any issues with Nerite poop. I find they do a much better job of keeping the glass clean than anything else I've kept. Which is extra important in the Edge because it's so hard to work in. It seems to me the shrimp do a better job of cleaning the hardscape and such of hair/turf/filament algae while the snails do a better job at GSA and biofilm.

I ordered a cobalt neotherm 25W from Amazon. I was using one of those 15W flat "betta" always on heaters under the substrate but it looked pretty well worn and I never liked the fact that it didn't shut off if the tank got up to temp. I would've had to buy a temp controller this time to be happy with it so I just spent a little more and got the neotherm.

I ordered some Marsilea, glosso, and baby leaf bolbitis from Bartohog last night. The bolbitis is to fill in one of the back corners as well as provide some more substantial cover for the CPD's and shrimp.
Nice! I totally agree on the behavior of the snails and shrimp. That has been my experience as well. For me, the snails keep the glass super clean and then pig out on whatever they can get off my driftwood. I just know that's where the majority of their poop comes from...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Plants from Bartohog arrived today. Very nice condition. Planted Glosso in the central mound, Marsilea minuta around the outside. Baby leaf bolbitis in the right corner, Blyxa Japonica in the left corner(probably won't be enough light for it so I may have to pull it out, thinking of replacing it with a windelov java fern if I can find one), and rehomed an Anubias nana petite to somewhat block the view of the intake sponge.

Still need a lot of work, but after a long day at work I'm kind of exhausted(mono will do that they tell me)

Also need to figure out a metricide and fert dosing schedule.

"Not my circus, not my monkeys"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Things are hanging in there at least.

I did add a bit of some freshwater annelid culture to help with biodiversity. a pinch of California blackworms has vanished from sight as well

Currently I have it on a 5 hour photoperiod but I'm not sure that's enough. Starting to see a tiny bit of BBA on the anubias roots so I'm not inclined to up the light schedule until I'm sure it's on the decline.

After reviewing my stocking ideas I'm starting to lean away from the CPD school. Since they get an inch long it just seem like it's pushing it to keep a school in such a small tank. I'm starting to lean more towards a group of Danionella dracula instead along with a single male Scarlet Badis. A least killi pair also has my interest ATM.

For inverts I back to Red Rilli, Thai micro crabs, 1 dwarf nerite,......

Also thinking I'll want to reduce the AC filters flow even more(it's currently on its lowest setting and has a spong prefilter on) I seem to remember people cutting blades off of the impeller as a way to do this. Since I don't remember for sure if google doesn't get me to the right post it means rereading the "official edge thread" which is such a monster at this point I don't relish the idea

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Lose the heater.
Add a strip of led lights.
Edge led's are weak, to say the least.

A DIY kinda GUY
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

A heater is a requirement in the winter here. I'm sure the plants would benefit from additional red they are plenty strong enough (the light bar is from the 12 gallon edge so double the usual number of leds) it's the spread that's lacking.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Added a Java fern(windelov) from petco today. Time will tell how well it adapts to being submersed.

Still unsure of a stocklist as I think Dario dario are a bit too large.

So far it's;
red rilli shrimp
thai micro crabs
1 bumble bee nerite
1 tricolor nerite(if the bumble bee isn't enough)
1 Clithon sp sun nerite(if the bumble bee and tricolor aren't enough)

fish list is still up in the air.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Added a dozen+ red rili shrimp. They instantly started scrambling around exploring the scape. I'll try and take some pics tonight.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

just a couple pics

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 07:38 AM
Algae Grower

Fluval Edge - improved lites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikevwall View Post
Lose the heater.
Add a strip of led lights.
Edge led's are weak, to say the least.
You are right. The Edge lights are pretty weak.

I ordered some Oznium LED strips (9" - 6000K) and mounted them in some 1-1/4" PVC housings; put them on a timer and my plants are now growing pretty well. Old pic... even more growth now.

Spike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070590-crop_resize.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	658801  

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 06:55 PM
Algae Grower

Recent pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090451a_resize.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	658873  

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Added a small bumblebee nerite. Lost most of the rili colony during a heat wave. Guess I'm going to have to figure out a way to cool the tank next summer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode