My 7.5g Mr. Aqua return to the hobby.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
My 7.5g Mr. Aqua return to the hobby....

Set this up for my daughter. She's turning 6 this week and has been begging for fish. Still undecided what will be in the tank...I'm definitely planning on shrimp so I need to research peaceful small tank suitable fish. But I have time since I just started the fishless cycle today.

I'll also be doing low light/ low tech planting...also TBD. Likely some Anabius and Java Fern. Nothing crazy.

Here's a shot of the tank so far...I know...it's amazing and inspirational...lol...it's a Mr. Aqua 12x12x12 (7.5g) that I've had several years but never filled until today.

Last edited by Nubster; 07-05-2016 at 12:30 AM. Reason: title change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 03:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Maybe a type of Microrasbora for fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 04:20 AM
Planted Member

Some sort of simple plants, Anubias will be a good choice - Anubias Petite or something to that effect. Flame moss would work as well. Whatever you choose, I suggest keeping it simple, one or two plant species, distinct and different (say moss + anubias). That way you neither have to fertilize nor worry about them competing with one another. I would recommend paying for a quality LED fixture, not super expensive but something you can count on being stable and maintenance free for a long time.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have LED's already...just not on the tank at the moment since it doesn't need light. I was planning on some Anubias, Java Fern, and possibly some moss of some sort. I've had decent luck with all of them in the past.

For fish, I like the microrasbora....some pretty cool ones out there. Killifish are pretty awesome too. I just need to research to see what would fit the tank. I have a slightly larger rimless I had setup for shrimp that needs a good scrubbing. It would maybe open things up a little for fish selection. So I might end up upgrading to that tank by the time it's all said and done. I'll let this one cycle and if I decide to make the change, I'll just move everything over so I won't need to cycle again. I just need to see what fish I can find locally vs. ordering since shipping can be a killer. But I'll do what I need to do to make sure I get the right fish for the tank.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 06:55 PM
Planted Member

Ok I mis-understood then. Post some pictures when you get things on the roll.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Planted Member

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...-cleaning.html

You could try something like that?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Do you venture out to Winchester at all? If so when you figure out what fish you want try talking to Zach at Winchester Aquarium and Pets. Generally if he can order whatever you are looking for and avoid the shipping.

Just a noob

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
Do you venture out to Winchester at all? If so when you figure out what fish you want try talking to Zach at Winchester Aquarium and Pets. Generally if he can order whatever you are looking for and avoid the shipping.
I do go there from time to time. It's been a while...haven't had a reason to go there...but that's definitely one of my go to shops.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmeister View Post
Funny you posted that...this is the last tank I had before I took a break....

Last edited by Nubster; 07-06-2016 at 05:23 PM. Reason: add pic
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Tank is SLOWLY cycling. Ammonia is hitting zero but nitrites still high. So hoping it will be done in the next week. Have some plants in the tank now...just some Java fern and moss. Keeping it simple for a while. I think I'm going to run with some black carbon rili shrimp this time around. I've never had rilis before and I really like the look of the black carbons...so I believe that's the direction I'm going. But with black substrate...I am a little concerned they might disappear in the tank. That's pretty much it for now.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well...guess it wasn't as slow as I thought. Or really...it just took off the last few days. Anyways...ammonia and nitrites are ZERO! Natrates were pretty high the other day but I did a 10% WC but didn't retest. I'm going to keep the bacteria fed for now at 3ppm or less...add like .5ml of ammonia every few days and do weekly WC's until I get some livestock. So pretty exciting. Still thinking hard about black carbon rilis...but there's still just something about those super bright PFR's that I love.

Bump: Here's a tank shot from today. Still need to get the java fern settled. It's just free floating along with the moss. I'll probably either get some stainless or some plastic mesh for the moss so it stays on the bottom. Ferns I'll tie to small chunks of lave rock that I'll partially bury into the substrate. I'd like to get some red root floaters at some point and maybe swap out the filter for a larger one and do a planted HOB with a planted spillway...but those are things to come later. I'm actually still even debating on tearing this one down and moving everything over to my larger Mr. Aqua (11 gallon) tank so there's more room for shrimp and possibly to add some nano fish as well. The smaller 7 gallon tank is great for shrimp only...but my daughter really wants some fish too. Guess we'll see what happens. Maybe she'll get her own tank instead.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 06:48 AM
Algae Grower

How many shrimps you intent to keep in this tank and what species?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I want to start with 10-20 and let them go from there. If they start getting over crowded I'll set up another tank. I'm going for neos...just trying to nail down what variety. Thinking PFR's or black carbon rili but not 100% sure yet. Might even do some Blue Diamonds. I've had PFR and BD before but never a rili. This tank is small but shouldn't have any problem with 50+ shrimp but I am getting ready to prep (clean and repaint) my larger tank which is 11 gallons and I might switch everything over so I'll have plenty of room for 100+ shrimp if they ever got to that point.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode