24" 20 litre shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile 24" 20 litre shrimp tank

I went out and bought my new tank today. It's a 24" x 8" x 8" Clearseal tank and I'm planning to keep shrimp in it.

I'll be needing a new hood or a hang on light/canopy with a condensation tray since the included hood is useless.

Gonna be getting some fertiliser/substrate over the next couple of days and then start adding some plants and water!

I'm still in need of a filter and lighting. I'm not big on sponge filters, I'd rather go with a U1. Also I don't know whether to go with a clip on arcadia light (or two) or one of the Glo canopies (Glo T5 Linear Double Light System).
I'm more set on the T5 but it's pretty expensive and I'm a student so I don't really know if I can afford it.

Any suggestions?

Currently setting up my 20 Litre Shrimp Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 01:42 AM
Algae Grower

welcome

that is an interesting size tank. Ive been thinking about setting up something similar along the lines of 36 inches...and much like you, the major hang-up is the lighting.when the time comes to seriously consider putting the tank together I will likely start a thread in the lighting forum. something that needs to be considered is the shallow depth of your tank, you don't wanna have too much light. Such can lead to algae problems.

anyway, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in with specifics. and if all else fails try the lighting forum.

either way, welcome to TPT, you'll find lots of nice people and good advice here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 02:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to garuf
HAve you joined Ukaps, we'd be glad of an extra member. I'm a student too, you can grow most anything with 2xt5, those glo units aren't bad but there are better options available via ebay.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've considered the fact that the tank is very shallow. I think as long as I can get a canopy/luminaire that is raised a fair way over the water (rather than just a couple of inches) then it should be okay.

I found UKAPS earlier on last night actually. Quite a good site. What did you have in mind for "better options"? The only thing I've found are a couple of knock off Chinese T5s.

I've also decided about the filter...I think I'm going to go with a DIY canister filter. I've also found a pump for around 8 so it shouldn't cost much more than 15 (unless I go all out with glass tubing etc )

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieOxford View Post
I've also decided about the filter...I think I'm going to go with a DIY canister filter. I've also found a pump for around 8 so it shouldn't cost much more than 15 (unless I go all out with glass tubing etc )
How are you going to do the canister filter and what kind of canister are you going to be using? Because I tried it and my canister squirted water out from the edges.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a 20x9x7 tank.
I use a 18" 15watt T8. One inch from the tank.

You can probably use a 24" 20W T8.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Algae Grower

The otterbox 8000 or otterbox 9000 make good diy canister filters. I am not sure their availablity in the UK though.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Right, well I found a DIY canister walkthrough here:
http://www.petfrd.com/forum/articles...rtid=87&page=1

I think I'm also going to go with one of these for lighting...It's an overhanging double T5 for 30 (plus postage).
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Overhanging-Aq...1918d2f4d#shId

The same company that's selling the T5s also sells the pump I'm after for 8 posted.

Cainm13, do you have a picture of your tank at all?

Gonna start building my filter today me thinks.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also...got some JBL fertiliser yesterday and some white gravel:

Kinda effed it up in the middle there though...

And a shot of the side:

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Filter ideas:

Idea 1 (2 Canisters)

Idea 2 (3 Canisters)

The soon to be canisters:

Advice/criticism welcome - at the end of the day I just want the best for my shrimp!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
yeah, here's my tank
http://socalaquascapers.com/forum/sh...8532#post38532

why not get a Zoomed 501 or Tom mini canister filter? $30
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I agree, definitely go with the Zoomed 501 (the Tom's has more negative reviews). There's a lot of potential for places to leak with your three canisters. You're better off just spending the money on the Zoomed just for the extra peace of mind. Plus, between the costs of the piping/pump/container/intake/outake/time, you're not saving much any ways.

This is all assuming that you can find a Zoomed there in the UK. I believe Azoo has a similar model that's readily available there.

Tony

My

and my

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I looked at the zoomed 501 but I wanted to have more space for ceramic rings etc...I'll just have to see how things go. I've already ordered the pump and bought myself some tupperware. If I decide to go otherwise, I can always take back the tupperware and stick the pump back on ebay.

I also ordered my lighting - turns out it's the same as on your clearseal 24x8x8!
Did you get it off ebay too?

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to garuf
Forget the eden 501, it's not powerful enough for your tank, go for a single t5 that's loads of light and a ex700 loads of flow. There's a member who has the same tank and set up and his iwagumis are the nicest.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what plants are you going for? Cherry shrimp?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode