Aquariums and cats - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquariums and cats

I'm going to be getting a cat in the next couple of months and was curious about what people do to protect both cat and aquarium/fish.

For context, I have a Fluval Spec V (5 gallon) which is rimless; I've been going lidless since I upgraded to the (16") Finnex FugeRay Planted+ (the light sits better imho, without it).

The tank sits on a cabinet with maybe a few inches on either side to spare.

My question is, to those who have cats, do I need to bother with a lid/canopy? I obviously don't know the temperament of my future cat yet haha, and I'm sure there are ways to train the cat to stay away from the aquarium.

Do you have a favorite lid (or diy) if you have a Spec V? I'm not a fan of the stock acrylic one, though I still have it. My biggest problem so far is finding one with the correct fit for my tank if it's super essential I cover up for a cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
You're going to want to use the lid,particularly if you have fish in the tank.The cat WILL try to fish them out.Also,the cat will want to drink from the aquarium.I don't know why,but they do.One of my cats even likes to drink the water from the cups I have small bits of moss growing in.

The only option I'm aware of for a spec v is the stock acrylic one,though I think a person could cut a piece of glass to fit,and perhaps use the clips for an IM fusion lid,or something similar,or perhaps make a screen or mesh lid for it.
Soxfandowd and Soxfandowd like this.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 05:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Mine just drink from the tanks, I have 13 tanks, many open topped and on the floor.
Used to have a cat that would jump on any open tank she saw , to drink from the top....until she misjudged the edge and fell in.
MCSLABS and MCSLABS like this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 06:51 AM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Exactly, once cat will fall into water, soak badly... Never again will he try (experience with 6 cats ). Drinking from a tank is a regular thing though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 07:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Man, if only they drink the tank water, mine will always find the grossest water possible in the room and drink from it.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 08:27 AM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Man, if only they drink the tank water, mine will always find the grossest water possible in the room and drink from it.
Mine too! There's a big monstera in my room. It has a jar with water for it's aerial roots. Never changing it, just adding more, it's really nasty and yet it's loved by all cats.

- 120x48x60 cm

- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 09:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

I use lids, but it isn't because of my cat. My fish are jumpers so they need to be kept covered.

My cat will watch my tanks from time to time, but he doesn't have access to them. Both are too high and since he isn't a climber, it is a non-issue. If he was I'd probably still use lids as while he's a indoor cat and cleans his feet, I wouldn't want stuff in my tanks from scented kitty, dust, and whatever else he may get into at any given time. Cats drinking tank water grosses me out, so he's not allowed to be in the room when I do water changes as he will drink from the bucket. Blech!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 10:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I find the fish I raise from birth in tanks, are not really prone to jumping, unless chased with a net to the surface.
The only fish I ever loose to jumping, are the rare times I buy in something that was probably farm raised in a concrete tank.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
The cat will drink the water, and depending on the fish inside, the cat might paw at or try to chase the fish. I've had a few that have gone fishing, but only 1 that was successful.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone Love the stories about everyones' cats too. My betta is definitely not a jumper and I like the look without the lid but I will try using the stock lid once I adopt a cat! The lid has a hole in the center though, so we'll see how well that works out.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Bettas being slow movers that like to hang out at the top, a lid would be a good move.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 04:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Just use clear packing tape with the sticky side up. Place it on any surface you don't want your cat (like the "few inches on either side"). Cats hate sticky stuff on their feed, and once they touch it, they will get off. Since it's clear, they will always think it's there and eventually avoid the area.
My cats don't bother with my fish (and other pet tanks) at all. They've learned that it's nothing they can get to, and ignore them.

AWolf and AWolf like this.

I Want A Golden Goose!

Last edited by Acro; 06-28-2016 at 07:00 PM. Reason: .
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 04:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Buy one of these just in case...

Ishar, Ishar, MCSLABS and 1 others like this.

Askhole :

Someone who asks for advice, then does the exact opposite.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 06:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Look at that cat's face. It is trying to figure out if anyone would know it was him, if he chews through his owner's throat while she sleeps.
Doogy262 and Doogy262 like this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 09:02 AM

We have three cats and two of them like to drink out of the aquariums but don't pay any attention to the fish, including our betta who lives in a 20cm cube. The betta likes to come and check out what's going on when the cats have a drink, I'm surprised he hasn't bitten one of them on the tongue yet.

Tags
cat, lid, rimless, safety, spec v

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode