12 gallon long ideas? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By fermentedhiker1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
12 gallon long ideas?

I've never been satisfied with my Edge so I've been thinking of scrapping it and going in a completely different direction. I also have a 40B that has cherry barbs and Furcatus rainbows that I'll be breaking down to make room for a large reef tank. So I was thinking of a mr Aqua 12L to replace the edge on my desk.

The idea would be a seiryu stone hardscape and I'd reuse the grey aragonite sand from the 40B setup.

Plants; carpet of crypt parva and maybe marsilea minuta and not sure what else. I want to keep it kind of minimalist but open to suggestions.

Other livestock; nerites, thiara snails, either 3 or 4 CPO's or sometime of gobies for bottom activity

Heater; not sure what I can do to keep it hidden/clean

Filter; also not sure how to make this as invisible as possible

Lighting; Was thinking a Finnex stingray but completely open to other options. I might possibly go with a higher powered light if I can successfully keep the surface covered in Frogbit or RRF

ATO; not sure what the most discreet sensor/float would be to keep water level constant and hard water stains to a minimum.

Any thoughts, ideas guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

One idea I had for a filter isn't necessarily as stealth as I'd like but might work out. A linear flow in tank system. With a powerhead on one end plumbed under the substrate to a sponge filter covered intake on the other end. I could try and hide the powerhead and sponge with java fern on both ends of the tank maybe.
TaylorTurner and TaylorTurner like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
A 36" stingray should be plenty of light on that shallow of a tank and it's not deep (front to back) at all so the stingray should illuminate every corner of that tank pretty well.

If you want minimal equipment in the display tank and are debating filtration methods, why not put a sump underneath it? Put all your equipment in the sump. You could even DIY a small overflow on one end and put your return on the other end for continues flow in one direction. Or run a canister with an inline heater.

I think a powerhead and sponge filter would take up way too much space in a 12g long. I see a lot of people running Eheim 2211 and 2213's on these tanks.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Unfortunately this planned for my desk so no place for a sump . I have noticed a lot of people using eheim canister filters but have never used one myself.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm actually leaning towards an Aqua Maxx 22 long as marine depot is selling the low iron one for the same price as a Mr aqua regular glass.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Two options I have for filtration that wouldn't cost me anything are an Ac50 or a Fluval 305. I also have a finnex fugeray but that would be overkill without co2

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 06:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Running a Finnex Planted + 24/7 on mine. Its nice because you can adjust the intensity of the light.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I wish the fugeray was dimmable. My issue with the 24/7 is that you loose the program features if you manually dim it. Which kind of defeats part of the point behind buying it

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I bit the bullet and ordered a 22 long Aquamaxx. Let the dreaming begin. This will be a different tank to scape for me than in the past. It will be viewable from both sides so I'll have build from the center out instead of the background to foreground I'm used to.

No tall plants I think. Possibly going with Crypt parva surrounding the hardscape down the center and either Glosso or Marsilea minuta surrounding that. Maybe some sort of moss on the rocks themselves.

If I use the Fluval canister then I'll probably go with a hydor inline heater although it's really too many watts and could easily overheat the tank. If I go with the AC50 I'll probably flank it with two 30 watt neotherm heaters.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode