Planted 6 gallon low tech shrimp tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted 6 gallon low tech shrimp tank.

Hello. Im pretty much quiet in this forum as i usually read and learn from other threads and scapes.
I have a hailea f30 tank. Dimensions are 34x24x36 and around 4.5 gallon net water
Filter i use is eden 501 for shrimp tank with around 300l/h (~66 gallon)
And atman 50W heater.
I have diy cooling system with 3 60mm fans on top connected to a thermostat.
Steadying the temp at around 24-26 Celsius.

Substrate is fertilized one from a company i currently does not remember. About 4-5 inch.

It has a Samsung GOQ led light. 2 cold white and 2 warm white. Around 10W of light and 200 lumen. Making a good light and looks enough for the plants.

The tank is running for approx. 2 months
At start it had
Flora:
Rotala rodantifula.
Blyxa japonica
Lileopsis brassilisens
Unknow plant.

The japonica died of with time.

And I've got marsilea minuta and trimmed plants. With a bit of soft scape changes and that came:

Fauna:
6 adult sakura cherry shrimp
1 otto
1 mexican dwarf crayfish
1 tiger snail
3 helenas
5 japonicas
70-90 cheery shrimplets

Photos

Please say you option about it and conment.
Sorry for English im from foreign country

Thx for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 06:20 AM
Algae Grower

Very nice looking tank. Rotala seems to be doing good. and the shrimp with offsprings look awesome. please post more pics as u progress. Do u add ferts. wats ur timing schedule for lights.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 07:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looks very clean. Using only 3 types of plants works well for such a small aquarium.

Is the unknown plant in the 4th picture with the nerite snail? If so, it looks like vallisneria spiralis to me.

It will be great when the Marsilea fills in.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

On hiatus till later this year

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusticdr View Post
Very nice looking tank. Rotala seems to be doing good. and the shrimp with offsprings look awesome. please post more pics as u progress. Do u add ferts. wats ur timing schedule for lights.
Thanks. Rotala is doing great. My lighting schedule was 2 hours at noon and 4 hours at evening with 2 hours separating them.
I just started to dose excel. 1 ml 3 to 4 times a week to accelerate growth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukydaf View Post
Looks very clean. Using only 3 types of plants works well for such a small aquarium.

Is the unknown plant in the 4th picture with the nerite snail? If so, it looks like vallisneria spiralis to me.

It will be great when the Marsilea fills in.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
The valseniria died of for some unknown reasons. I hope it will look good when the marsilea will fit in and spread. Thank you both for commenting and sorry it took me so long i was without phone for too long.

Thats the tank as kt looked in 29.7

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 02:09 PM
Algae Grower

The vals probably died from the excel. They are pretty sensitive to it. I did the same thing. I found that if you start at a 1/2 dose of excel and work up to the full dose over a couple weeks they will adjust without too much trouble. There are a handful of plants that do not like excel. Vals, azolla & anacharis are some that come to mind. I know there are a few more but can't recall them at the moment.
Nice tank! Look forward to seeing your progress.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 06:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

It happens. As mentioned Vals are a little sensitive to excel. Your aquarium still looks well maintained. The rotala is becoming quite a bush. How are the cherries doing ?

On hiatus till later this year
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbunnie View Post
The vals probably died from the excel. They are pretty sensitive to it. I did the same thing. I found that if you start at a 1/2 dose of excel and work up to the full dose over a couple weeks they will adjust without too much trouble. There are a handful of plants that do not like excel. Vals, azolla & anacharis are some that come to mind. I know there are a few more but can't recall them at the moment.
Nice tank! Look forward to seeing your progress.
Well i am home only at weekends and sometimes even every second weekend so i do not intend to raise the dose as i prefer being safe than sorry. The excel accelerate growth of the brassilisens and the marsilea. The rotala grow like inch every week even without excel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukydaf View Post
It happens. As mentioned Vals are a little sensitive to excel. Your aquarium still looks well maintained. The rotala is becoming quite a bush. How are the cherries doing ?
Actually the val died before the start of excel dosing. I started to dose before a week and a half. And the growth was stunning from that point.

I haven't seen the adult shrimp getting berried in the last month. Probably because of them all females. Shame. But the shrimplets are getting bigger from week to week and I think and hope its 2 to 4 weeks before they will join the breeding team.
I do try to cull some of them but i do not intend to get better grades just keepthe current grades and not losing them for bad blood. Think ill get 2 marina tank - 2 liter ones and put a betta that will ennoy the live food and another one for selective breed or for nano shrimp tank.
Am not doing it as the equipment is a bit pricey where i live.

Sorry for the bad grammar as i am foreign.
Thx for replying

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some photos

A pig

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode