Best Tall Plant for 5G Tall Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Sykith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Best Tall Plant for 5G Tall Tank

I'd like to add some tall grassy plants to my Marineland Contour 5G. Thinking something along the lines of Vals, or C. Balansae, or maybe Cyperus Helferi. What's the best option for a nano tank? I know many tall plants will eventually just be too large for this size tank. Are there any that would be manageable and have a similar look? Thanks for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 02:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Now this would depend on your lighting and ferts etc. but I would suggest cyperus helferi or some type of stem plant. Balansae and vals can get huge and in my experience the easier crypts don't require a lot of love to take up a lot of space, plus those two have a greater chance to shade out anything in the mid/foreground.
inkbird and inkbird like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 07:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Cyprus Helferi is nice because you can easily trim it to keep the height constant. No topping like with stems

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
I should have mentioned that this will be a low tech tank. Does anyone have any experience growing Cyperus Helferi without Co2?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 11:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Whats the light? It could maybe work with excel but not sure without any sort of co2, I read that light is about as important as co2 for cyperus helferi.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shattersea View Post
I should have mentioned that this will be a low tech tank. Does anyone have any experience growing Cyperus Helferi without Co2?
I started growing it in a high tech tank that I then converted to low tech. This seems to be growing at about the same rate. My light was over 100par when it was higher tech and is at about 60par now that it's lower tech. I just started dosing api co2 booster but it's too early to tell if any benefits are there. I have noticed this plant grows slow for me no matter what. I dosed ei for both setups just different amounts now that it's low tech.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wouldn't consider 60par low-tech in the sense of a "standard" low-tech tank. That's still a bunch of light. It's definitely lower than the 100par you grew it in but I would still consider 60par high-tech, IMO, depending on setup.

No Co2 + low light has always spelled disaster for Cyprus helferi when I tried to keep it. It's frustrating to prune because the individual leaves should be pruned from the base, not just hacked and trimmed. IME, when just cut, the leaves would turn yellow/brown from the cut ends and then just slowly melt away. I haven't kept it in any high-tech setup, I prefer Blyxa species for grassy plants.

It sounds like you want a lower light (<30par), lower maintenance tank. Have you considered needle leaf java fern? It has a pretty good grassy look when it's dense enough and should work great in a low-tech setup. I've seen a bunch for sale in the members forums lately too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode