4 gallon planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question 4 gallon planted tank

Hello all , my girlfriend and i are going to make our 4 gallon tall into a planted tank , what would you recomend for a bulb? It has a screw in socket i was considering a 13 watt daylight 6700K bulb. Is that too much light?

i will add diy co2 and excel.

what about substrate, im trying to move away from sand b/c of all the anerobic issues i have been having .

input , recomendations , suggestions , commands (lol) all welcome.

When in doubt.... SCREAM AND SHOUT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
What are the dimensions of your tank? A 13W bulb won't be too much light, but if the tank is rectangular you might consider two of them, otherwise there is good lighting in the center, and darker areas towards the sides.

A bag of Flourite (Black or Regular or Brown or whatever you like) would be a good substrate for your tank. Might not even need the entire bag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i knew some one was gonna ask the dimensions. , how ever im at work right now, its extramly tall i would say (( 10 L X 8 W X 20 T )) thats a rough estimate. very odd tank bought at a garage sale fer $2.00 ill try to post a pic soon ill have my girlfriend send me one from her phone.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

heres a pic

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
In that case a single bulb should work well. The 13W should work for most undemanding plants, if you want a groundcover or something requiring more light you might have to step up the wattage a bit. Those spiral CFLs (if that's what you plan on using) are not that efficient due to their shape. Lots of "restrike", and difficult to wrap a reflector around them.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

right i agree, what would you recomend? i would prefer to use a screw in simple because its already there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode