New nano - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Nlewis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New nano

Hello everyone I am going to be doing a diy nano tank and was looking for some input on some things. First the tank will be about 14x12x12 I was wondering what people thought for lighting the tank cfls, fluorescent, or LEDs and maybe some products. Second is substrate, I currently have black flourish sand in my 29G and I'm not the biggest fan due to how light it is and getting sucked up while cleaning. Next is planting I am looking to carpet maybe baby dwarf tears and I'm not sure about the rest. I don't think I will do co2 due to the cost but plant and fert suggestions are welcome. Live stock I'm still thinking maybe a few red barbs. The filter I don't want anything hanging because it will be rimless so I'm thinking canister not sure the model yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I will be doing a journal on on the build of the stand, tank, and possibly the light if I go cfl or fluorescent and then the scape.
Thanks again,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Algae Grower

Hey

I think light and substrate are one of the most important things. Are you planing on going low tech/Hight tech? Do you have any reference layout in mind?

For the light check out the Chihiros A - sÚrie, can be found on ebay and also different sizes.
For carpeting baby dwarf tears is not easy, i recommend you check out Marsilea hirsuta or Marsilea crenata, very easy to grow and look great and require no co2.
Iwas not a big fan of the Black flourish, i am using Black brown soil similar as the ADA, and i can tell the difference.

Are you a nature lover? follow me on instagram
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesser13 View Post
Hey

I think light and substrate are one of the most important things. Are you planing on going low tech/Hight tech? Do you have any reference layout in mind?

For the light check out the Chihiros A - sÚrie, can be found on ebay and also different sizes.
For carpeting baby dwarf tears is not easy, i recommend you check out Marsilea hirsuta or Marsilea crenata, very easy to grow and look great and require no co2.
Iwas not a big fan of the Black flourish, i am using Black brown soil similar as the ADA, and i can tell the difference.
I'll look at my local fish store to see if they carry those and maybe go with that as a carpet. Im actually going to go with a 12x12x12 now and the light that you suggested might be the one for me although do you know what the par would be like on one of those?
Low tech would be ideal just because I dont want to spend too much money on this and the layout idea is something like this I think:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ua_RVwuywvk/hqdefault.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1bf5f6de95.jpg

Last edited by Algonquin; 06-14-2016 at 09:11 PM. Reason: forgot picture

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
Hello everyone I am going to be doing a diy nano tank and was looking for some input on some things. First the tank will be about 14x12x12 I was wondering what people thought for lighting the tank cfls, fluorescent, or LEDs and maybe some products. Second is substrate, I currently have black flourish sand in my 29G and I'm not the biggest fan due to how light it is and getting sucked up while cleaning. Next is planting I am looking to carpet maybe baby dwarf tears and I'm not sure about the rest. I don't think I will do co2 due to the cost but plant and fert suggestions are welcome. Live stock I'm still thinking maybe a few red barbs. The filter I don't want anything hanging because it will be rimless so I'm thinking canister not sure the model yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I will be doing a journal on on the build of the stand, tank, and possibly the light if I go cfl or fluorescent and then the scape.
Thanks again,
David
If you are not going with higher light and co2 injection you should choose a different carpeting plant. Look into S. Repens and dwarf sag as some low tech carpeting plants.

May I suggest Black Diamond blasting abrasive to you for substrate. It's inert sand that's black, heavy and easy to plant in. By the way it's super cheap at around $9 for 50lbs.

As far as the canister goes, my suggestion is an Eheim. I own several different canister filters and the Eheim IMO is the best.
Opare and Opare like this.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:49 PM
Algae Grower

The light allow you to change the intensity from very low to very high depending your need, its awesome! =)

Are you a nature lover? follow me on instagram
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 03:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

New nano

Yeah don't go for HC, some people have done it in Low-tech, but it's not an easy feat. S. repens may be a more reasonable option or the Marsilea species.
You could probably use Ikea desklamps with LED bulbs. Blasting sand is a good cheap substrate, like Nlewis said. If your gonna buy commercial substrate just get ADA Aquasoil it's the best one IMO.
Lots of plants you could go for, I would look for some you like the look of, and you can ask whether they will okay in your setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
If you are not going with higher light and co2 injection you should choose a different carpeting plant. Look into S. Repens and dwarf sag as some low tech carpeting plants.

May I suggest Black Diamond blasting abrasive to you for substrate. It's inert sand that's black, heavy and easy to plant in. By the way it's super cheap at around $9 for 50lbs.

As far as the canister goes, my suggestion is an Eheim. I own several different canister filters and the Eheim IMO is the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blesser13 View Post
The light allow you to change the intensity from very low to very high depending your need, its awesome! =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Yeah don't go for HC, some people have done it in Low-tech, but it's not an easy feat. S. repens may be a more reasonable option or the Marsilea species.
You could probably use Ikea desklamps with LED bulbs. Blasting sand is a good cheap substrate, like Nlewis said. If your gonna buy commercial substrate just get ADA Aquasoil it's the best one IMO.
Lots of plants you could go for, I would look for some you like the look of, and you can ask whether they will okay in your setup.
Hey everyone sorry for the late response. Ive been looking online for things because Ive found out the Amazon is much cheaper than my LFS Big Als.

The filter I am going to go with is or an in the tank filter (still no sure what I'd like : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Heater: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Light:
https://www.amazon.com/Brand-ACRYLIC...s+a+series+led

As for ferts I currently have
Seachem Flourish, excel, and root tabs. I am thinking of buying iron and potassium as well.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

You can save money by buying dry fertilisers if you wish. Then you can get the full range of nutrients you will need like Phosphorous etc. The Seachem fertilisers are fine though. Flourish Comprehensive only provides micro nutrients at reasonable amounts by the way. NPK, your macros are important (if not more so than micros).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode