Fluval Spec V & lll - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Spec V & lll

Im getting an amazing deal, $60 for both the fluval spec v and fluval spec lll. I wanted to upgrade the lighting and grow a carpet of Monte Carlo or dwarf hairgrass along with alternanthera reineckii. I was thinking DIY co2 and I have ADA Amazonia.

For the 5g spec I was thinking in addition to the stock light I could add my 12" finnex stingray. I'm not sure if that will be enough light or not.

For the 2.6g I could add the fluval 13W fixture. I think this should be enough. I also have an AquaLighter nano and pico in case.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 03:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

Sounds fine, but are you sure you wanna use the same plants in both tanks? You should take the chance to do something different in my opinion.
By the way, can't off information on the lighting if you could find there PAR online though, that would give you a better idea whether they are suitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Sounds fine, but are you sure you wanna use the same plants in both tanks? You should take the chance to do something different in my opinion.
By the way, can't off information on the lighting if you could find there PAR online though, that would give you a better idea whether they are suitable.

I'm not sure how to find PAR.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 11:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

Have a google for PAR for the fixtures you want and I'm pretty sure someone would have documented it, at least for the Stingray, since it's quite commonly used.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 04:55 PM
Planted Member

I have a Fluval Spec V, and I have a 16" Planted+ on it. I actually built something to raise the light higher since it was too bright at such a close range. I think the Stingray would be fine, honestly, depending on how bright you wanted it. It'll probably be low-medium.

Go Timbers
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I just got a Finnex 24/7 today on my Spec V, and with the intensity set at 50% the tank looks beautiful. 100% is incredible. It's also cool to use the thunderstorm and 24/7 features of the light.

The Planted+, depending on how much substrate you have, will give you around 85-100 PAR throughout the tank, at which point CO2 injection becomes vital to the tank not becoming an algae infested wasteland.

Go Blue

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode