12G xlong tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)
12G xlong tank

Looking for some opinions on this planned setup. Im going to be buying a 36" Long*8.5" Wide*9.5" Tall 12gallon aquarium for my desk. It will run along the back of the desk next to the wall. For lighting I am planning a coralife aqualight 42watt T5. So that will give me 3.5WPG of T5. I probably wont be using CO2 as I want to keep clutter to a min since this will be on my desk...not to mention I dont want to mess with it. I can dose Excel if necessary.

For substrate I am interested in having a really nutrient rich base, I will use a base layer of peat moss and Jobes Fern&Palm plant spikes covered with 20lbs Caribsea Suset Gold sand. Fish Im planning to keep are a shoal of 12 Chilli Rasboras, trio of Scarlet Badis, Cherry shrimp, Nerites and a couple of Otos.

Now for plants, I will be using some petite anubias nana and a C.lucens from my 5G as it will be phased out. I would like to stear clear of moss or fern as that is what dominates my other 2 planted tanks. What kind of plants would you guys suggest? I would really love some E.tenellus, and Blyxa japonica if they would survive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:34 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
You wouldnt have to worry about plants needing light for sure, since its a lot of light.

I cant comment on whether CO2 will be becessary or can you get away with Excel.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
sounds like the mr aqua 12g tank. I have been scoping this tank out for months and just about to purchase it.

I like your lighting option with the 42 watts i have been mulling over lighting for this tank for ages. I have even considered LED since its so shallow.

As for the live stock i like your choices. Would be all red fish and shrimp which would look sweet. I think blue rams would look good in there too.

Best of luck with your new build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yep, thats the tank Great price on a frameless tank that size I think. I chose that fixture for 2 reasons...its price and the fact theyre less than 4" wide which would work great for a tank that narrow. Thanks for the comments you two, much appreciated

Any futher thoughts on CO2/Excel, Plants and if the substrate is decent enough?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...1&pcatid=14711

Just found this, would it be effective enough on a tank that size? I could probably find the room to hide that little CO2 can.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...1&pcatid=14711

Just found this, would it be effective enough on a tank that size? I could probably find the room to hide that little CO2 can.
That is just DIY co2. Save yourself the bank and use a 2 liter bottle if you want to DIY. SIlly to waste money on something that you can easily do for a fraction of the cost (more effectively).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

My only concern with DIY is the tank will be at my work, dont need the other faculty to think Ive been boosing in my office lol! Id also be concerned with pressurized when Im not there, sometimes the janitors leave my office unlocked and students can get into my office while im not there. Thats why the excel or that can thing is appealing...easily hidden and no mischievous kid could mess with it

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode