Which nano tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Which nano tank?

I'm setting up a new home for my betta,he's in an old acrylic flatback hex right now,and I'm looking at several tanks.

I have the old style spec v with plants that's doing fine,and like the new one,but the box stores here only have the old one with the higher price of the new one,and everywhere I look online they show a pic of the old one.

also considering a Marineland contour.

Marineland Contour Desktop Aquarium Kits: Aquarium Kits

either one would be the 5 gallon flavor,and I'm staying non co2 on it.The spec has more real estate to plant in,but the contour is cheaper and has a better cover.has anyone tried growing with the stock light on the contour?

the old style spec light is actually doing really well for me,though I think the tank is getting some filtered sunlight as well.

I'm just growing easy stuff like hygros,dwarf crypts,and a sword.

so I'm asking for opinions.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 08:45 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtAnimals View Post
I'm setting up a new home for my betta,he's in an old acrylic flatback hex right now,and I'm looking at several tanks.

I have the old style spec v with plants that's doing fine,and like the new one,but the box stores here only have the old one with the higher price of the new one,and everywhere I look online they show a pic of the old one.

also considering a Marineland contour.

Marineland Contour Desktop Aquarium Kits: Aquarium Kits

either one would be the 5 gallon flavor,and I'm staying non co2 on it.The spec has more real estate to plant in,but the contour is cheaper and has a better cover.has anyone tried growing with the stock light on the contour?

the old style spec light is actually doing really well for me,though I think the tank is getting some filtered sunlight as well.

I'm just growing easy stuff like hygros,dwarf crypts,and a sword.

so I'm asking for opinions.
For what it's worth- my co-worker bought a Fluval Spec 3 from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Spec-Aquarium-2-6-Gallon-White/dp/B009S8NO26?ie=UTF8&keywords=fluval%20spec&qid=1465418009&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1 and she received the newest version with the upgraded lighting unit despite what was pictured. Also- she got it for $54 not the current price of $69.

I've got two other coworkers expecting to receive Spec IIIs ordered from Amazon in the next day or two and I'll keep an eye out for what they get.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I am going to get this one for a betta says its for saltwater but i am pretty sure it will work for fresh water

Innovative Marine 10 Gallon NUVO Fusion Nano Aquarium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
The only reason it says it's for saltwater is because Innovative Marine's customer base is mainly saltwater people. Any tank rated to hold water can be used for either saltwater or freshwater.

IM makes nice all-in-one tanks and it's hard to run across any downsides from the threads I've read on sw forums. The only thing I'd be concerned about would be the flow rate. The product description says a 13-92gph pump is used. Depending on how well you can adjust the pump, you may need a smaller one so your betta doesn't get blown around, also depends on how well of a swimmer your betta is. If all else fails, you will have a pretty decent tank for pretty much whatever you would want to do with it, saltwater or freshwater, just add lights.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by proper.noun View Post
For what it's worth- my co-worker bought a Fluval Spec 3 from amazon. Link Here and she received the newest version with the upgraded lighting unit despite what was pictured. Also- she got it for $54 not the current price of $69.

I've got two other coworkers expecting to receive Spec IIIs ordered from Amazon in the next day or two and I'll keep an eye out for what they get.
Thanks for the info! The price on the spec seems to vary day to day,today it's 84 for the V.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF9922 View Post
I am going to get this one for a betta says its for saltwater but i am pretty sure it will work for fresh water

I like that! has the cube shape but in a larger tank,and still won't take up much more room than the spec V,plus I can add a finnex light.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:06 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtAnimals View Post
Thanks for the info! The price on the spec seems to vary day to day,today it's 84 for the V.
You're welcome, the two other Spectanks came in and are both the newest model as well.

Cheers
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF9922 View Post

Well,I too,bought one of those,and a Planted+ 12 inch for it,both are on the way.Ended up getting the nuvo for less than the spec too!

Thanks for the idea!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode