I wanted to make this into a planted nano but not sure if I can - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
I wanted to make this into a planted nano but not sure if I can

I just got this from a friend and like the title says I want to make it into a planted tank that I can try DIY CO2. Problem is I'm not sure if I can use it for plants with the undergravel filter it has that you can see in the pics. Will that take all the plants nutrients away and what kind of substrate can be used with this type of filter? This is a 8 gallon I was told and the halogen light is 10W. Is this enough light? It says that is the max on top that can be used. I guess if I am to try CO2 I will need more light. But still not 100% sure that I want to do CO2. Here are the pics, please tell me what you all think I should do. All comments are welcome. I would like to do a journal too!! My first!!!!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...2010_0132c.jpg

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...2010_0142c.jpg

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...2010_0152c.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I can't say whether or not that would make a good planted tank as I've never used one before.
I can answer your question about substrate with an UG filter, however. FloraBase, a plant substrate, was designed for use with UG filters. While I'm not a huge fan of the stuff when compared to Aqua Soil, it's decent for what it does. You might want to look into that.
As for the UG filter in general. Most people don't like them as over time, the plants' roots tend to clog the intakes. This is indeed a potential problem except for the fact that a large majority of nano tankers rarely keep their nanos up for more than a year before tiring of a certain look and tearing down to start over. So if you were to plant mainly around the edge of the tank, you'd be fine. (Or just plant mosses, ferns, and Anubias plants that don't throw roots into the substrate.)
The light on that is weak given the distance it needs to travel to the substrate. This will limit what you can successfully grow. A light retrofit may be in order if you want to have access to more of the plants this hobby has to offer.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Thank you for the input. I will not be trying a planted AQ with this tank. I didn't know when I was offered the tank that it was round and had a ug filter. Both of which I don't like. I have a ten gallon that I could do instead. I will offer it back to my friend so he can either give it to someone else or sell it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I agree. I made the mistake of getting a biorb which is the cousin of the biube (which is what you have here)- the acryllic is nice and clear but I hated the convex magnification. It makes you unable to see certain parts of the tank and distorts everything else.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode