My Grandmothers 5G Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking My Grandmothers 5G Planted Tank

No, my grandmother is not THAT cool. I built her a tank and I also maintain it for her, gives her something to look at living alone. I bet you thought my grandmother planted a tank right? haha anyway...I will continue to update this thread as we progress.

I had a spare 5 gallon tank I was able to give her, but I had stripped the LED lights from the hood for another project. I am in the process of building a custom lighting hood but for the time being I have this fluorescent gooseneck reading lamp over it. The HOB filter that this 5 gallon came with was quite weak so I had replaced it a while back with a Marineland Penguin 75 (bio-wheel) so the tank is being over filtered. I added a Purigen packet to the HOB rated for 100 gallons so the water will remain nice and clear! I also keep the thermometer in the HOB just under the lid for a cleaner appearance.

The rock cave was pulled from another established tank with plants already attached to it, the cave hides the intake tube and heater. The driftwood was also pulled from an established tank, it was made from a blueberry bush branch. My air stone is a glass diffuser with a glass U tube for the top lip..but I need to extend the hose between the U tube and diffuser. Most the plants also came from a friend for free with the substrate, along the back left I have some sort of a sword in the left corner with an unidentified thick stem plant that grow tea shape leaves to its right. Moving forward is a large patch of I think Bacopa/Moneywort, and I had a bunch of spare dwarf hairgrass I put in front of that. On the right side is some sort of an Elodea-like plant that I am not sure is going to make it since it is so fragile, I have two types of Java Fern I need to find a way to plant in the back right corner however I need something to tie them to since they can not be planted in the substrate? I do not want to find a rock because it will not match the fake rock cave so I am currently looking for another piece of driftwood. I also tossed in a few floaters from my tank, Amazon Frogbit and some sort of non-rooting Parrots Feather.

As for stocking this tank I have drilled the no-fish factor into her head but she still thinks I am crazy for it. I will use a pair or possibly 3 Amano shrimp since they are social, then a bunch of red cherry shrimp which will eat algae but not as well s the Amanos. I will also add 3-4 Nerite snails, keeping them well fed with homemade snail jello. Would be nice if I could find the red and white bee shrimp or red painted shrimp.

Last edited by Teebo; 07-17-2017 at 04:31 AM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 03:58 AM
Algae Grower

What if she decides to get an Oscar? Won't it tear the plants out and eat them?
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

haha she will not be getting an Oscar...she made a promise she will not put anything in the tank without my permission besides the pre-bottled water I gave her
Mikeygmzmg and Mikeygmzmg like this.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 05:01 AM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I see other problem - grandmother and "won't you eat more?" said to shrimps :-D nice tank, good luck with it :-)
Teebo, Teebo, lahornby and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 05:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have to give credit to you. You have a real knack for making pretty little aquascapes. That's really nice and it looks fine inside that 5 gallon, who say's rimless is the only way to go?
Teebo, Teebo, uptown and 1 others like this.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I made gelatin food so hopefully it will not pollute the water.

Thank you, I would have much rather gone rimless but this is what she wants

As I am planting she says "I hate to say it but that looks like it has been there a really long time" so I must be doing something right.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 07:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Better yet, you can make jerky out of those gel foods. Just dehydrate them in the oven and they should last longer in the water. Some fish may not like the harder texture, but worth a try.

You can mount the ceramic diffuser lower in the tank to allow the bubble a tiny bit more contact time with the water. You could place it under a better circulated area as well. Probably won't make much of a difference though.
Teebo and Teebo like this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Interesting jerky idea, I will experiment with it.

Yes I did mention I plan on moving the diffuser lower, I need to cut a longer tube for it. I put it on the left because for one I do not want air being sucked into my filter inlet, and two it provides a small amount of circulation to the opposite side of the tank that the filter is on.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I really like the rock cave. Did you make it yourself out of individual rocks? Are they glued together?
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:51 PM
Algae Grower

Why not put a Betta in there for her?
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by randym View Post
I really like the rock cave. Did you make it yourself out of individual rocks? Are they glued together?
I was fortunate enough to purchase this on eBay for around $30, it is casted plastic of some sort. Looks very realistic which is the only reason I bought it since I am not a fan of decor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown View Post
Why not put a Betta in there for her?
Attachment issues when it dies, everything has to look the same so it is no big deal if one dies.
randym and randym like this.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 05:26 PM
Algae Grower

Oh, that makes perfect sense. What about a small group of guppies?
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 05:41 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would suggest endler livebearer, smaller than normal guppy, in my opinion - prettier :-)

- 120x48x60 cm

- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ditto the Endlers: Smaller, and if you get males only there will be no problem about removing the fry. They are shrimp-safe, too.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 06:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

You did a good job, looks great!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode