6.6 "Bookshelf" planted nano (1st planted tank) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
6.6 "Bookshelf" planted nano (1st planted tank)

Hello all ... This is my first post here & my first forray into planted aquaria. I've been reading about it on the 'net for a year or two & looking at some of the great tanks, but had yet to begin my own untill now.

I've kept cichlids (SA), corals, & even a mantis shrimp (Guido) but this will be my first try at a planted tank. Thanks in advance for the help, via the great info on this site!

Anyway ...

-- Here's the setup this far ...

6.6 "Bookshelf" (Petco-scratchy-acrylic-jobber)
Eco Complete substrate (Black.....ish)
Petrified wood
Under-gravel heater
DIY Co2 (yeast setup)
Circulation pump
DIY diffuser (seperate pump)
1X 10,000k T5 bulb 24" 14w
1X "colorlife" T5 bulb 24" 14w

(I also have a 6700K 24" 24w HO T5 bulb if I find I don't have enough lighting)

Flourish Excel for dosing

-- Items ordered & not yet here ...

Co2 indicator (Red Sea)

4 bunches Dwarf Baby Tears (Hemianthus Callitrichoides)
1 bunch (8 plants) Star Grass (Heteranthera Zosterifolia)
2 bunches Oriental Swords (Echinodorus sp.)

-- Items to come later

HOB filter (probably the smallest "Aquaclear" I can find)
Different yeast (I think my yeast is bad/old ... gunna look for "Champagne yeast")
Fish (either 1 male beta (all white) or a school of neons (maybe 5?)

-- Tank & scape pic (Scape could change)

-- Notes/Questions

* My lighting I think should be good for the high light plants selected. I come in at 4.25 wpg with high spectrums in the blue & red. Let me know, please, if I should think about this differently.

* With a nano at 6.6 gal ... how much Flourish Excel should I expect to dose?

* Should I look into gravel bed fertilizer pellets? Or would that be overkill to what I have?

* Scape input/ideas?

* Will a HOB filter aqitate the surface too much & thus remove too much Co2?

* Fish suggestions in this small of a tank? ... Should I think about snails/other as well to control algae?

* I orderd plants from "Aquatic Scapes" online & never got an email that the order was confirmed & being shipped. I did get an invoice on their shopping cart checkout. Anyone deal with them before & do I just wait & have faith that I'll get the goods?

* Anything you all can think of that I'm missing? .... I feel so new ... lol

Thanks in advance ...

~ Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very nice hardscape there and I like your selection of plants. Looking forward to seeing it planted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit My Blog at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
WELCOME TO PT!

First off ditch the Marlboro's, and pick up some American Spirits. :P

It looks nice! I would say you have too much light. Just the 1 t5 10k would work great!

The swords will probably out grow your tank. And if you add swords you may want to loose a couple stones.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
High light - pressurized CO2 = ALGAE, ALGAE, ALGAE....trust me, invest in a good pressurized system, or go low light, or raise that light well above the top of the tank. Raising is what i've found most people do for a preventative measure. I learned this lesson the hard way.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nue View Post
WELCOME TO PT!

First off ditch the Marlboro's, and pick up some American Spirits. :P

It looks nice! I would say you have too much light. Just the 1 t5 10k would work great!

The swords will probably out grow your tank. And if you add swords you may want to loose a couple stones.
Thinking of "Chantex" actually ... I smoke cigars & pipes as well & would LOVE to ditch these cigarettes alltogether. By the way ... I am in envy of you. I just came back from a trip to Park City & Alta (skiing/snowmobiling) & Kansas just ain't the same.

May try to omit one light & go with the 10K ... thanks for the tip. May help in the quote below as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knm<>< View Post
High light - pressurized CO2 = ALGAE, ALGAE, ALGAE....trust me, invest in a good pressurized system, or go low light, or raise that light well above the top of the tank. Raising is what i've found most people do for a preventative measure. I learned this lesson the hard way.
So, scrap the DIY Co2 & implement a pressurized system? ... that's more doable than raising the lighting in this apartment. Thanks ... I'll look into this.

I've thought about trying this with the ... "Red Sea", I think ... paintball Co2 regulator full system. Looks like it can be had for $80 or so. Suggestions ??
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

WOW im obsessed with that petrified wood, where did u get that? Great looking hardscape!
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXx View Post
WOW im obsessed with that petrified wood, where did u get that? Great looking hardscape!
Thanks .... Picked it up at a spot down the street from my that sells rock for landscaping.

----------

Re: my lighting

If I drop the "colormax" light & run only one 14w bulb, I'm only pushing 2.1 WPG. Won't my HC suffer from such low wattage conditions .... or is a tank this small ... read=low depth ... as the 6.6 bookshelf unable to use standard calculations of WPG, & I'm actually getting more light than what I think?
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Lol, don't envy me. I have never been skiing. Although i tried to snowboard once, it was a horrible mess.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nue View Post
Lol, don't envy me. I have never been skiing. Although i tried to snowboard once, it was a horrible mess.
I lasted 2 hours ... an hour and fourty minutes of which, was on my backside. Skiing's a different ballgame ... Snowboarding hurts .... a lot.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'd say go full on with 28 watts, just make sure to keep up on the DIY co2. Like he said, you may run into some algae from fluctuating co2 levels but it doesn't hurt to try things out. It is a small tank to she WPG rule doesn't reall apply even though it is a shallow tank. Try it out and lets see some pics of this planted!!
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For lighting i think two 10 watt full spectrum bulbs from walmart in the fish section would suffice. I use them on my 10 gallon and have great results so far.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portalz View Post
I'd say go full on with 28 watts, just make sure to keep up on the DIY co2. Like he said, you may run into some algae from fluctuating co2 levels but it doesn't hurt to try things out. It is a small tank to she WPG rule doesn't reall apply even though it is a shallow tank. Try it out and lets see some pics of this planted!!
Still flying with both 14W bulbs today ... changed out my DIY yeast mix for good chanpagne yeast & am getting a better reaction. Wanted the DIY running better, untill I can get pressurised Co2 running. Went by the local brew-your-own-booze store to price equipment. 2 1/2 gal tank $150 / Regulator $75. Still would need tubing, needle valve, solenoid, .... this got expensive really really quickly. Gunna see what I can do online ... probably with a paintball tank setup.

Planted the plants I had picked up previously at the local ...

2 oriental swords (will outgrow the tank & need moved at some point ... maybe these will grow in my cichlid 30g cube, otherwise they will become trade fodder.)
1 good bunch of HC cuba
1 almost non-existant bunch of HC cuba (told the LFS I'd try to revive it if they threw it in free...figure it's worth a shot...didn't get much viable plant stock out of this.)

I'll most likely pull the colormax bulb tonight & run with just the 10K 14w & see how it goes.

3 days .... cycle already, will ya ?

Still waiting to hear any sort of word from the online store I bought the co2 indicator, HC & stargrass from .... will have to call again today & see if I can get ahold of them)

Anyway .... here's some initial planted pics.

post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking good! Im glad those swords will outgrow your tank cuz im not digging them in there. cant wait for the HC to spread! its gunna look great!
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
nice. looking forward to updates

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXx View Post
Looking good! Im glad those swords will outgrow your tank cuz im not digging them in there. cant wait for the HC to spread! its gunna look great!
Agreed. lol .... I was looking for something that will flow over some of the hardscape & the swords are not gunna cut it. I have hopes that the star grass I ordered will actually come in at some point & then I'll most likely replace the swords with the stargrass & hope for the best once they become full.

Never one plants .... flying by the seat of me arse here. lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode