2.5 gallon planted lowtech nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5 gallon planted lowtech nano

Hey, I'm new here and I'm also new at fish tanks and fish. I am great with amphibs but not so good with fish. I need lots of help here I was going for a 2.5 gallon planted low tech tank. I need help with the stock and plants. I also need help on lighting. I don't plan on using a filter but having a low population of fish.

Can anyone help?

My Tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Help?

My Tanks

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:46 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
12 minutes between bumps is quite short of a time.

For a low tech 2.5g nano, I would suggest perhaps a single 13W bulb. That should give low enough lighting that you can grow some plants without having to worry too much about CO2, fertilizers, etc.

In terms of plants, the standard low light plants will work; just be sure to choose the ones that stay smaller (i.e. Anubias barteri var. 'nana' Petite, mosses, Cryptocoryne parva, etc).

Without a filter, and also considering the size of the tank, I would not recommend any fish be placed into the aquarium.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
What type of light u going to get?
it should be less than 20 W IMO.

for plants. get easy plants like java moss, java fern, Maybe a banana plant. marino moss balls etc.

also take a look at the journals section and the pictutres of other peoples tanks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Without a filter, and also considering the size of the tank, I would not recommend any fish be placed into the aquarium.
And more frequent water changes if you have any fish. But it can be done.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 11:16 AM
sandie

I have a 3 gallon tank that has been successful for over 2 years without filtration. It has a beta and some snails in it. It sits on my nightstand by a window and is thriving. There is 2 marimo balls, java moss, java fern attached to his cave and riccia floating at the top in this tank. It gets a 50% water change every week. The plants act as natural filtration. My water parameters have always been good. HTH and goodluck, I hope you enjoy your new tank.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Planted Member

+1 for the more frequent water changes. I agree with the above statement of at least 50% every week. With such a small tank it shouldn't take to long to change out 1.25 gallons every week.

A betta is a good idea, so long as you keep the water changes up.

Consider all the plant options people have mentioned. Java ferns (a smaller type - I have some I can send you some trimmings if you like) as well as java moss will do great in a low tech tank. No need to worry about fertz. If you decide to keep the betta, I would suggest a couple of crypts on one side of the tank, allow them to grow towards the top, my bettas always seem to appreciate plant leaves near the top of the tank. Gives them a good place to rest, and build bubble nests.

Are you going for a Densely planted look or a more sparse look? I've kept a few low tech nano tanks, all with great success.

Another option might be to keep it as a shrimp tank, though I would recommend filtration if you are going to do that.

What type of tank is your nano? Throw us a picture up, might help us better help you with lighting choices.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah you guys are right that is probably too small for fish. What if I got a 5 gal instead? I was thinking densley planted with a few fish like maybea 3 neon tetras. I don't know I would love suggestions. I was thinking on some ancharias (might be spelled wrong) plants and some dwarf sag or dwarf hairgrass. Like I already said I would love some suggestions.

My Tanks

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 01:58 AM
Algae Grower

Neon tetras need to be in groups so you would have to have a minimum of 5. I'd say for a 5 gallon, get 7ish. As long as you keep up with the weekly water changes, you'll be fine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode