zeldar's Do!Aqua mini-m Iwagumi *PLANTED* 3/26/10 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
zeldar's Do!Aqua mini-m Iwagumi *PLANTED* 3/26/10

I just couldn't take it anymore. I had to take the plunge and get a rimless aquarium. I've been waiting for ADG shop to get the do!aqua tanks in stock since shipping from AFA would be over $40. So I finally ordered the tank yesterday.

I also ordered a bag of Amazonia II. I used Amazonia I on my first planted tank and had the worst experience with it, mainly due to the 6 months of leeching dark tannins. I've heard Amazonia II doesn't leech much so I decided to give it a go.

Anyway, this tank is replacing my 2.5gallon betta tank which is on a small nightstand in my room. So I have a limited space and after looking at all the dimensions decided the mini-m is the best fit. It's still going to be a very tight fit, but should work.

I'm going with a true iwagumi this time. My first iwagumi wasn't very good. It was doomed from the start, I planted the tank first before getting the hardscape. haha Rookie mistake. So this time I already have the stones and will get the hardscape down before planting.

I snapped a couple pictures of the setup I like. You have to use your imagination since the pics are taken in a shoe box and substrate is crushed coral I had leftover from my old cichlid tank. Also the substrate will definitly have a more drastic slope, as thats all the coral I had.

Tank: Do! Aqua mini-M
Lighting: 2x Ott-lite 13Watt
Filter: AquaClear 20
Substrate: Aquasoil Amazonia II
co2: DIY diffused through glass diffuser
ferts: NPK and micros once established
Flora: HC, and probably mini pellia
Fauna: no idea yet

I need some suggestions on rock placement. Also, I probably need a nice background plant. I was thinking the classic dwarf hairgrass but I wanted something that grows taller. Maybe regular/giant hairgrass?

I'll get pics up once the tank and aquasoil arrives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeldar; 03-27-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Those rocks are so amazing, so much character! Id love to shuv some mini pellia in those crevasses and see what happens!
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
Sexy rocks.
I'll be watching this one to see how it develops. Good luck with the Amazonia II. I'm still too chicken to try out this miraculous substrate because of the few horror stories I've read online. Nothing worse than a bad substrate. Well, maybe a bad substrate laced with clado.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:42 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Really great rocks! I look forward to seeing how you plant it.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I received the tank and aquasoil yesterday. Between today and yesterday I have it setup how I like it. However, if anyone has any suggestions I'm always willing to listen.

I should get it planted with HC this weekend, hopefully friday after work. I picked up another Ott-lite today but don't pay attention to it in the pictures because its just leaning against the wall.

post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Love it!
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 03:42 AM
Algae Grower

I can't wait to see plants in it. Iwagumi!

Eheim Pimp Club Member #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post
"The 'scape ain't right, bro."

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 04:34 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Great hardscape!

45g ADA 90p (early days)
2g Do!Aqua cube (unplanted for now)

Edge Tuning: 26W lighting conversion -
-
-
- lunar lights
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alrighty then! I finally got this thing planted. I didn't think it was going to take very long because all the rocks left relatively little amount of space for planting. Well it still took a couple hours to get the HC planted. I probably didn't need to plant the individual stems of HC so close together but this way it will carpet quicker.

So HC covers the entire tank except the back middle. I found a little bit of dwarf hairgrass in my other tank even though I removed it months ago. So I litterally planted about 6 individual strands of hairgrass. I don't know if that will be enough to get it started, if not I may buy some.

So I am about to hook up my new filter to get it cycling. Would it be alright to keep my betta in here during the cycling stage? I know aquasoil is known for the ammonia spikes during setup, but I plan on doing 50% water changes every other day for at least the first few weeks.

Here are some pictures now that the tanks planted. Water is still a little murky from filling but not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

Oh, what do ya'll think about adding a black background to the tank?

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 05:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Hardscape looks great. I would have used less substrate in the front. Maybe 3/4 of an inch to an inch, and more slope in the back. It almost looks flat right now. It will flaten even more in a couple of months. Be carfull not to get any MTS n your tank because the will certinally flaten the substrate. For fauna I would go with snowball shrimp, and blue axelrodi or green kubotai. For such a small tank and it being a Do!aqua I would splurge and get around 6 pots of HC to plant. The more plant mass the less nutrients for algae. Also start with 4 hours of light and keep CO2 24/7 throught the cycle, with no betta. Seed your filter with used floss from another tank to shorten the cycle time.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

MARIMOBALL, from the picture it does almost look flat, but in person it appears more sloped. There is a little too much substrate in the front, I agree. Just measured and I have a little under 2 inches in the front and over 4.5 inches in the back.

Why would you get so much HC? I don't think there is any way I could stuff more than 1 pot in here.

I have never kept snowball shrimp before, so I will probably go with them in this tank. I love the axelrodi, I have just never seen them for sale. MARIMO, do you know of anyone that sells them? I would get some in a heartbeat.

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
For such a small tank you can fill that tank with more pots of HC. You get faster results and avoid algae.
One of the sponsors Invertz factory had them a while back and Nature Aquarium here in Santa Monica is getting some. I would add more soil to the back. you can always remove it if ya dont like it.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yea, I've been patiently waiting for an updated stock list from Invertz Factory. I've ordered from them a couple times in the past and they have great nano fish. I guess it will just depend on what they have in stock when I'm ready to order.

After reading up on the Axelrodi, I don't think they would be a good fit in this tank. They need very soft water and low pH. Here in Houston we have alkaline and even with aquasoil I can't get the pH lower than 7. They also like subdued lighting and lots of plant cover which obviously an iwagumi doesn't provide.

You talked me into it, I will drain the water tomorrow and add some more aquasoil to the back. It's going to be tricky since I already have it planted. I will prob only be able to add it to the middle back since HC is planted everywhere else and I realllllly don't want to replant that.

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Great hardscape! It's got a real nice balance to it and the overall effect is of a mountain range seen from a distance. I like the use of heavy stone on the right in comparison to the smaller stones on the left. This will add a tension to the composition when the HC grows in and steals the show.

Speaking of the HC...just going off experience and looking at your HC, some of it -- maybe even a lot of it -- may melt before it adjusts to the tank. The stuff in your tank has that look. It's happened to me.
It tell you this not to worry you, but to tell you not to worry if it does. That's just what HC does. The Otts you've got on there are more than enough light for it, the Aqua Soil's more than perfect for it, and as long as you pump in enough CO2, you'll be fine after a month and a half or so. Basically, just stay the course when you start to see little white strands form on the leaves and they disintegrate before your eyes.

The OttLites can be raised about a half to three-quarters of an inch (one or two CD jewel cases) so as to reduce intensity and mitigate the chance of an algae outbreak. HC does not need too much light to carpet. (It loves CO2, though. So if you're so inclined, slap two DIYs on there.)

Good start. For an second attempt at an iwagumi, you done gud.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Nice rocks!! I just got a great shipment of rocks in like the ones you have and am going to reascape my tank over the weekend. I like what you've done so far. Very inspiring and very cool.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode