Best filters for 10 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 483
Best filters for 10 gallon

What are the best filters for a 10 gallon tank with shrimp? Canister filter?
sfshrimp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Jamo33's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 656
I would suggest a canister filter, they are extremely good at filtration, easy to clean etc. Just make sure you have one of those shrimp guards on the intake so they don't get vacuumed into the filter (although most shrimp go on their own free will).
Jamo33 is online now  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:58 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
latchdan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (17/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Paso Robles, Ca
Posts: 1,287
Double sponge filter
latchdan is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (65/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,454
Hi sfshrimp,

You can certainly go with a canister filter with a sponge filter on the intake; but small canister filters are sort of expensive and don't usually have a lot of media so they need to be cleaned often. For my 10 gallon I use a Aquaclear 20, they typically sell for about $25 new. They do about 100gph and are adjustable to slower rates if needed.

I like them for five reasons:
1) The media is stacked horizontally which allows it to hold DIY CO2 bubbles fed into the intake;
2) I use two sponges for maximum bio-filtration
3) Most parts including intakes, impellers, shafts, along with media are available at most LFS
4) US based customer service with a toll free number to call and I've used it a few times and it works!
5) A lifetime warranty

Quote:
Warranty
The AquaClear Power Filters are guaranteed against defects in material or workmanship under normal aquarium usages and service for as long as you own the filter. We offer a Lifetime Guarantee on all non-replaceable parts which means that the filter will be repaired or replaced at the manufactures discretion, free of charge, when the complete pump is returned with proof of purchase and postage paid. Please include $5.00 to cover shipping and handling. This warranty does not apply to any filter that has been subjected to misuse, negligence or tampering. No liability is assumed with respect to loss or damage to livestock or personal property irrespective of the cause thereof.
And for shrimps don't forget a sponge on the input tube strainer.

10 gallon with Aquaclear 20 HOB filter

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Seattle_Aquarist is online now  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 02:26 AM
Planted Member
 
Pattern8's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi sfshrimp,

You can certainly go with a canister filter with a sponge filter on the intake; but small canister filters are sort of expensive and don't usually have a lot of media so they need to be cleaned often. For my 10 gallon I use a Aquaclear 20, they typically sell for about $25 new. They do about 100gph and are adjustable to slower rates if needed.

I like them for five reasons:
1) The media is stacked horizontally which allows it to hold DIY CO2 bubbles fed into the intake;
2) I use two sponges for maximum bio-filtration
3) Most parts including intakes, impellers, shafts, along with media are available at most LFS
4) US based customer service with a toll free number to call and I've used it a few times and it works!
5) A lifetime warranty



And for shrimps don't forget a sponge on the input tube strainer.

10 gallon with Aquaclear 20 HOB filter

I have to say that I am incredibly pleased with my aqua clear filters. Technically they're Fluval Edge but really just aqua clear rebranded. I've had them up and running for almost 7 years. I just had to replace a $4,000 fridge that didn't last as long. I've had almost no problem with them and they're super quiet.

One question for Seattle aquarist: if you are attempting maximum bio filtration why double up on the sponge filter media instead of the ceramic node packs? Do you believe the sponges facultate the beneficial bacteria better than the ceramic?
JasterMake and JasterMake like this.
Pattern8 is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 02:33 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Lonestarbandit's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,046
This is not a bad tiny canister. I still have one running on my 20 but since I have a big canister on it also I am not sure why. Guess more is better.
But it did well on my 10g. The hang on backs will push more water than this but for a shrimp tank it's an option.
http://www.amazon.com/KollerCraft-Rapids-Mini-Canister-Filter/dp/B000YJ0M1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464312658&sr=8-1&keywords=Tom+Aquatics+Rapids+Mini+Canister+Filter Or this little fella.
http://www.amazon.com/TechnToy-HW-602B-3-Stage-External-Canister/dp/B00F4NZ7UG/ref=pd_sbs_199_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=41DT9vektVL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0CBKAYAC6G2BX71A45G2

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas”
David Crockett
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lonestarbandit is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
GrampsGrunge's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Diatom Alley, Lakeside, OR
Posts: 1,327
Pretty sure you can fit a sponge filter on the tip of an Aquaclear HOB intake tube, which would make it safe for shrimp.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GrampsGrunge is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Willcooper's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 970
Go with a canister if you want to remove all the equipment from the tank. If you don't care that all the other equipment is in the tank (co2, heater) then get a hob filter. Aquaclear is preferred but I just setup a ten gallon shrimp tank and just threw my old penguin 100 (replaced all the media) in it and it's doing great.

And definitely use a pre filter if you are going to have breeding shrimp.

like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1464315124878.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	635882  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1464315142979.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	635890  

Willcooper is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 483
filter

I think the equipment in the tank is something we are trying to minimize. My buddy is going to buy a 10 gallon ADA tank so we are trying to figure out what we could do to not take away from the aesthetic, which is why a canister might be good. I'm trying to get him to buy the ada canister but it's really expensive (upper $400 range).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
Go with a canister if you want to remove all the equipment from the tank. If you don't care that all the other equipment is in the tank (co2, heater) then get a hob filter. Aquaclear is preferred but I just setup a ten gallon shrimp tank and just threw my old penguin 100 (replaced all the media) in it and it's doing great.

And definitely use a pre filter if you are going to have breeding shrimp.

like this:
sfshrimp is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (65/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattern8 View Post
I have to say that I am incredibly pleased with my aqua clear filters. Technically they're Fluval Edge but really just aqua clear rebranded. I've had them up and running for almost 7 years. I just had to replace a $4,000 fridge that didn't last as long. I've had almost no problem with them and they're super quiet.

One question for Seattle aquarist: if you are attempting maximum bio filtration why double up on the sponge filter media instead of the ceramic node packs? Do you believe the sponges facultate the beneficial bacteria better than the ceramic?
Hi Pattern8,

My oldest Aquarclear was vintage 1983 and was replaced two years ago.

I just use sponges because they are easier to clean. I use ceramic in my canister filters along with sponges.
Pattern8 and Pattern8 like this.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Seattle_Aquarist is online now  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 04:30 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Opare's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: KL, Malaysia
Posts: 1,926
I wouldn't recommend buying the ADA superjets. They do look spectacular, but there are much MUCH cheaper alternatives. I would look at the Eheim canisters or the Fluvals.
Don't be afraid to go for a bigger canister for a smaller tank (within reason).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Opare is offline  
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 483
ok thank you

What models would you recommend? The canister will not be visible, so I'm mainly thinking about performance as cool as the ADA stove pipe looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
I wouldn't recommend buying the ADA superjets. They do look spectacular, but there are much MUCH cheaper alternatives. I would look at the Eheim canisters or the Fluvals.
Don't be afraid to go for a bigger canister for a smaller tank (within reason).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sfshrimp is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Willcooper's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfshrimp View Post
I think the equipment in the tank is something we are trying to minimize. My buddy is going to buy a 10 gallon ADA tank so we are trying to figure out what we could do to not take away from the aesthetic, which is why a canister might be good. I'm trying to get him to buy the ada canister but it's really expensive (upper $400 range).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
Go with a canister if you want to remove all the equipment from the tank. If you don't care that all the other equipment is in the tank (co2, heater) then get a hob filter. Aquaclear is preferred but I just setup a ten gallon shrimp tank and just threw my old penguin 100 (replaced all the media) in it and it's doing great.

And definitely use a pre filter if you are going to have breeding shrimp.

like this:
$400+ to filter a 10 gallon? Wowza. I would go with a smaller Eheim classic with glass Lilly pipe inflow and outflow. Eheims also have the sizes you want for inline heater and diffuser options made by pretty much everyone for very reasonable prices.

But hey rock on with the Ada one if that's happens. Post some pics of that for sure.
Opare and Opare like this.
Willcooper is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 483
It's not really a sensical choice, but we are talking about guys that have the best stuff and serious about plant growth, so it's neither here nor there. I'll probably have him not do that and invest more in other things like the stock and plants, etc. We might even drill a private acquifer in his backyard just for the fish tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
$400+ to filter a 10 gallon? Wowza. I would go with a smaller Eheim classic with glass Lilly pipe inflow and outflow. Eheims also have the sizes you want for inline heater and diffuser options made by pretty much everyone for very reasonable prices.

But hey rock on with the Ada one if that's happens. Post some pics of that for sure.
sfshrimp is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 05:06 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Opare's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: KL, Malaysia
Posts: 1,926
Filters are filters. At the end of the day they sorta do the same thing and it's better to focus on lighting, nutrients and maintenance in order to have a really good tank with healthy plants. I would save money to get all the nice glassware like lily pipes, because they will be visible unlike the filter.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Opare is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome