Suggestions 1 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Suggestions 1 Gallon

Hello everyone!
My brother's computer mouse came in this neat little polycarbonate box and I kind of want to turn it into a shrimp tank. It holds water and I'm letting it just sit for a few days just to make sure. It measures 6"x6"x6"

I need some ideas for lighting. Could I use just a regular desktop LED lamp or is there another cheap option that will grow plants?

Also, plant ideas! I'm definitely going to use a teeny piece of wood with moss but other than that I'm stumped. I don't want CO2 and I'd really rather not deal with dosing ferts for such a small volume of water so I'd like it as low-tech as possible. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 12:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Mosses (java or fissidens) for plants esp if it's a nano. They help clean the water for your shrimp...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's not what the plants will be for, I'm using a sponge filter. I was already planning on moss, I was asking more for small plants or plants that will grow up and out of the tank immersed and emmersed.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 04:38 AM
Planted Member

You don't need ferts or a moss only or moss and anubias type tank. Some cree LED's could work, or even better some strip LED's. I hope that box you describe infact worth it - you might prefer a 2.5 gallon from the petstore?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The six inch by six inch is a plant vase ,nothing more.
Is death trap for any life due to small surface area for O2 exchange and fluctuation's in temps and water chemistry from food's and waste created by whatever poor creatures you might be considering.
Wait for dollar a gallon sale at petco and spring for five or ten gal tank which would afford you more option's and be much more suited for live creatures.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think it looks really nice. I don't have a picture of mine with the water in it and I'm too tired/lazy to take one until morning but it's this:

Review: Razer Ouroboros Wireless Gaming Mouse | Custom PC Review

Minus the black bottom and stickers (and mouse ofc) and turned upside down. The only thing I'm worried about is it doesn't have wall/joint support and is made to show off a computer mouse, not hold water, so I'm making sure to test it well before I put anything live in there.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
The six inch by six inch is a plant vase ,nothing more.
Is death trap for any life due to small surface area for O2 exchange and fluctuation's in temps and water chemistry from food's and waste created by whatever poor creatures you might be considering.
Wait for dollar a gallon sale at petco and spring for five or ten gal tank which would afford you more option's and be much more suited for live creatures.
It's for shrimp, there are probably hundreds of 1 gallon shrimp tanks on this forum alone. With delicate shrimp like crs. I haven't seen anything that says this is too small for something like cherry shrimp.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 05:22 AM
Planted Member

As long as you can keep the water stable for the shrimp. Although you have to realize the tank will be less than a gallon once you've added substrate and plants and a filter and a heater... Etc... You're probably closer to a half gal than a full gal, everything said and done. That's not to say it can't be done, I'm just making an observation... It's a lovely cube design.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm confident I can keep it nice for them. I'm pretty obsessive about keeping my 20 long pristine and this is a much smaller volume to change during pwcs anyway so even daily (if needed) won't be a hassle at all.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 06:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleredridingmech View Post
I think it looks really nice. I don't have a picture of mine with the water in it and I'm too tired/lazy to take one until morning but it's this:

Review: Razer Ouroboros Wireless Gaming Mouse | Custom PC Review

Minus the black bottom and stickers (and mouse ofc) and turned upside down. The only thing I'm worried about is it doesn't have wall/joint support and is made to show off a computer mouse, not hold water, so I'm making sure to test it well before I put anything live in there.

Bump:

It's for shrimp, there are probably hundreds of 1 gallon shrimp tanks on this forum alone. With delicate shrimp like crs. I haven't seen anything that says this is too small for something like cherry shrimp.

I would/will submit same response to the hundred's of people you claim are doin it successfully.(not for long they don't)
I can keep and Eagle in a bird cage,or raise a child in a closet.
I could also suggest hundred's of folk's kill betta's and shrimp alike with similar vases,bowl's each day/week.
Forum's are littered with such.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright, I'm already getting a backup 10 gallon anyway. I could use that.

Can I grow any live foods in it? Not brine shrimp, I have another setup for that.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 04:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm not going to recommend a tiny tank like this for a novice, but for someone experienced /detail oriented, and who checks their charges twice daily, and keeps it really understocked. It *might* work out fine. I've done no worse with a gallon pickle jar, a few Water Sprites / baby tetras. The key here is to move the live stock to a bigger tank before they get too large for it. I'm not sure what animals you could keep happy in a 0.84 gallon tank, maybe a couple young RCS? I definitely would have it filtered by some sort of air driven filter or a tiny HOB like the Jebo 501.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 05:20 PM
Algae Grower

As far as lighting goes, this would be a good option. I have 2 of these on a specIII and get good growth with them. They can be a little like a spot light but if you unscrew the ring that holds the optics you will get better light spread. kensfish.com has the best price I have found, 12.95. You can hook them up to a timer too. I have mine running with the cheap fluval ramp timer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dbp.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	635746  

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
That's the same size is the Marina Cubus that is sold as a Betta tank.

http://www.amazon.com/Marina-CUBUS-Glass-Betta-Kit/dp/B003TM3B3O

I've used several of these for small aquascapes, but never put anything in it bigger than some pond snails.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I definitely wouldn't put fish in it. I was thinking a ghost shrimp or a ramshorn snail. I'm home almost all day and keep a close eye on my existing tanks so I could keep it clean, I'm just conflicted about it being humane.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleredridingmech View Post
I definitely wouldn't put fish in it. I was thinking a ghost shrimp or a ramshorn snail. I'm home almost all day and keep a close eye on my existing tanks so I could keep it clean, I'm just conflicted about it being humane.
I think with those critters in mind your probably fine. If you have another tank sometimes the easiest think to do is simply change the water twice a week with water from the other tank and some fresh. That will probably keep things more stable in a small tank, other than temp swings.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode