Red Blyxa japonica normal? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red Blyxa japonica normal?

Is it a good or bad sign that my blyxa japonica is red / almost purple? It's very pretty, but when I bought it, it was bright green... I read some posts here saying it was good, and others saying it was bad, not sure what to think. Any advice appreciated. This is in a 5 gallon fluval spec tank with the stock led lighting and c02 (1 bubble / 2 seconds).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1738.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	634793  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfshrimp View Post
Is it a good or bad sign that my blyxa japonica is red / almost purple? It's very pretty, but when I bought it, it was bright green... I read some posts here saying it was good, and others saying it was bad, not sure what to think. Any advice appreciated. This is in a 5 gallon fluval spec tank with the stock led lighting and c02 (1 bubble / 2 seconds).
Hi sfshrimp,

Welcome to TPT!

Blyxa japonica will get reddish leaves if it gets a lot of light; think of it as sort of 'sunburn'. It doesn't necessary hurt the plant as long as sufficient nutrients are available.

In looking at your picture the light seems to be 'pinkish'? If so that will further enhance the redness of the leaves, under an incandescent light it is likely it would not look that red.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi thank you. The light is stock from the fluval spec 5, I can't seem to find specs on the color temperature, but I do a lot of photography and can say it does not have any yellow or color in it. It looks like a fairly cool LED and bright as hell, although people here have said that this light is "weak." The photo I posted is also not great, but if you look at the red cherry shrimp in contrast to the plant you will see it has a fair bit of blue... The plant also has a ton of growth, and doesn't look unhealthy whatsoever, so is it good or bad?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi sfshrimp,

Is it good or bad? Probably neither; as long as there are sufficient nutrients in there the plant should not suffer.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok cool. I really like the way it looks, a splash of curly color. Thanks for your input, just wanted to see what more experienced hobbyists thought.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Was the plant that curled when you bought it.

Tags
blyxa, color, japonica, red, red plant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode