my wabi kusa addiction - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
my wabi kusa addiction

Hey all, so this is going to be my record of this project but I figure it might help others. Researching didn't yield tons of sources or guidelines so here goes.

Materials:
Substrate ball:
- organic soil I have used previously in dirted tanks, don't remember the brand.
- red clay powder mixed in for iron.
- I made a baseball sized lump and surrounded it with ZooMeds frog moss (for terrariums, apparently it's pillow moss?) and tied it together using fishing line.
Light:
- jansjo led desk lamp from Ikea (trying it out, it was cheap so I'll see how it goes).
Plants:
- crypt wendtii, parva, and undulata
- pogostemon helferi
- hydrocotyle Japan
- baby tears
- various mini bucephalandria
- some type of rotala
- ludwigia peruensis
- a very tiny piece of hygrophila pinnatifida (trying to save it)

I set this up last night and took the pictures this morning, keeping plastic wrap on it for a while to transition from submersed to emersed. Hopefully it won't take too long because the rotala, crypts, and some hydrocotyle Japan were already growing emersed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1464025196481.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	634649  

Name:	image_1464025215959.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	634657  

Opare, Opare, TaylorTurner and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Sykith; 09-06-2016 at 02:25 AM. Reason: title change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 08:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very pretty!!

My Walstad method aquarium log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
If you want a cleaner look, pull the wrap tightly over the top and then cut with a box cutter or razor about half an inch below the top rim. It might be harder w/ a round top, but it'll look nicer than the bunched up plastic. Maybe you can use a rubber band to keep it tight around the rim.

The crypt and plants look great though!

What did you use under it? Looks almost like one of those takeout sauce containers (very clever!). Nice job!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
||

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 09:08 PM
Algae Grower

Looks pretty sweet so far! Will any of the plants you used grow up to the top rim?

Also, to piggy back on bereningas comment, for a cleaner look, press n seal would be perfect for this.

90 Gal. Hi Tech. - Angels/Tetras/Pictus - torn down

65 Gal. Non planted - Ps. Elongatus "Chewere" - torn down

240 Gal. - "
" high tech planted community
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by annah View Post
Very pretty!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bereninga View Post
If you want a cleaner look, pull the wrap tightly over the top and then cut with a box cutter or razor about half an inch below the top rim. It might be harder w/ a round top, but it'll look nicer than the bunched up plastic. Maybe you can use a rubber band to keep it tight around the rim.

The crypt and plants look great though!

What did you use under it? Looks almost like one of those takeout sauce containers (very clever!). Nice job!
Thank you both!

I was planning on trimming the plastic this afternoon actually just didn't have time. As for the container, yes it was some sort of take out container I had lying around. Using actual dirt as the substrate proved to be just as difficult as my research suggested. I managed to get the moss on tightly enough to keep it together but I was worried that since it is actually terrestrial the bottom part would decay and foul the water so the very bottom has a 1.5 in diameter (ish) circle with no moss. I was also worried that some of the dirt would spill and the ball would fall apart so I put the ball over the rocks in the container with holes an inch from the bottom to contain any soil that spills, hopefully this way the plants could still access it eventually.

So far the only drawback is that there is an ugly plastic container in there but such is life, it managed to contain nearly all of the substrate and the rocks are doing a good job of covering up the ugly parts!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelayer View Post
Looks pretty sweet so far! Will any of the plants you used grow up to the top rim?

Also, to piggy back on bereningas comment, for a cleaner look, press n seal would be perfect for this.
Most likely it will depend on how the light works/nutrient limitation in the soil but I would say the rotala, ludwigia, and baby tears could make it.. unless I decide to trim them.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 09:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Digging it.

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas”
David Crockett
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestarbandit View Post
Digging it.
Thank you! Me also, I didn't think it would turn out this well!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
It has turned out nicely

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas”
David Crockett
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick update:
Everything is going nicely, the rotala and hydrocotyle are showing the most growth which is great. Other than that the baby tears and ludwigia are showing signs of transitioning to emersed. I started opening up the plastic wrap for about an hour every day, do you guys think I could start speeding this up or just keep taking it slowly?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image (6).jpg
Views:	108
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	640305  

TaylorTurner and TaylorTurner like this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 07:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

I think slow is safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Growth is good, rotala is growing faster than hydrocotyle Japan and the baby tears are in 3rd.. Only regret is the layout and choice of plants but hey it'll be a hot mess of pretty emersed plants in a few months. Trimmings will be needed to keep some from overtaking and shading the others. Plastic wrap should be able to come off in a week or so and then I can clean those water marks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1465870793186.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	642553  

Opare, Opare, TaylorTurner and 1 others like this.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks fantastic! How's the jansjo lamp working out? I've thought about trying it myself.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It is going well, it could be brighter but for $10 you can't really beat it. The only plant not doing the best is the hydrocotyle japan which seems to be reaching a lot for the light so it might not be bright enough to effectively carpet but it could be possible with trimmings, only time will tell.

Just checked on it.. been very busy the last two days, the limiting factor may not be the light but the gas exchange due to the plastic wrap. I opened about 1/5 of the plastic wrap two days ago and there has probably been a 33% increase in growth.. least that's what it looks like to me.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Been a little while since I've updated, been setting up a new tank and school/work is taking a lot of time as usual but here goes. I let the time get away from me and rushed the removal of the plastic wrap, though it had been a week and it had only been about 4 days. Anyway I put plastic wrap back and idk how long it will be before it comes off. Please excuse the water marks I never got the chance to clean them. Time for a trimming? Maybe even the playing field for some of the other plants besides the rotala and hydro?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	645281  

Name:	image_2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	645289  

Name:	image_3.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	645297  

Last edited by Sykith; 06-21-2016 at 12:24 AM. Reason: add
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 12:40 AM
Planted Member

Awesome!!! I just started my first Wabi kusa about 5 days ago. It doesn't look nearly that good though! I think you have done a really incredible layout and have a great plant selection. Here is the link to my now humbled Wabi : First Wabi Kusa - "Untouched Oasis" - The Planted Tank Forum

Ain't nothin' better than a dwarf puffer to greet you at the door!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode