2.5 gallon rimless cube journal (crystal red shrimp 9/8) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
2.5 gallon rimless cube journal (crystal red shrimp 9/8)

Hey guys, got another tank and am currently setting it up.

Here in santa clara, the city provides a dumping service each spring where people can put out stuff on the street that they would normally have to take to the dump themselves. This provides a great opportunity for dumpster diving!

Anyways, as I was driving down my street, I saw something that caught my eye, it was a small cube tank. It was super dirty, but I didn't see any cracks. No idea why whoever threw it out did, but oh well!

So, I took it home, and after an hour got it cleaned

I noticed that the rim was loose (this is probably why the previous owner threw it out) so I de-rimmed it. and did a leak test, it passed!

I decided to do a wood tank since I got some interesting pieces from an SFBAAPS member and boiled them to get the tannins out and to soften up the bark so I could remove it.

And, here's what I came up with for a scape, I have other pieces of wood but I think these two look the best. I'll try some other poses and post them on here. I don't think I'll be using any rocks since I want to have a completely rockless scape.

I'll probably run this as a low-tech low maintenance tank so CO2 is out of picture, but who knows.

I got a mini canister from fish.com coming (only 13 bucks!) and once that comes in, i'll plant it.

Here's my plans:

Substrate:ADA aquasoil II
Lighting: 14 watt CFL
CO2: none, or excel
Ferts: none
Flora: some kind of moss, or anything else that's easy to keep
fauna: CPDs, or I might just go all shrimp and get some CRS (always wanted these)

Any opinons/ comments/ questions would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by IWANNAGOFAST; 09-08-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I wish I could find tanks on curbs. I can't wait to see the set-up.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
what a great looking tank! that wood fits perfectly!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Got a link to that filter?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

http://www.fish.com/item/aquatic-edg...l-tank/701011/

it's like a generic zoomed or tom's canister filter.

a few people i know have it and it works fine for them. wouldn't trust the site's recommendation that it be used on a 33 gallon tank though.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:18 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
anubias!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
http://www.fish.com/item/aquatic-edg...l-tank/701011/

it's like a generic zoomed or tom's canister filter.

a few people i know have it and it works fine for them. wouldn't trust the site's recommendation that it be used on a 33 gallon tank though.
Thanks

And yes at 46GPH it would not handle over a 5g. IMO
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 05:30 AM
Planted Member

Any new developments on this tank?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
How will you keep shrimp from climbing out of there?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
Man i am so jealous you found that. goodluck!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hey, totally forgot about this journal! thanks for bringing it back up!

ok, so its been well over a month since I started this tank.

I tried to modify the fish.com filter so i can stick the hydor flat heater into it, with disastrous effects, so I scrapped it and bought a tom's mini canister. The flat pack heater is still in there, but it's pretty well hidden by my stems. Lighting is a 15w 6700k CFL

Filled it up with aquasoil 1, and have been waiting for it to cycle. It's planted with various mosses on the wood, some mini christmas tree moss I picked up from AFA on the mesh for the foreground. I originally had glosso but it wasn't growing flat so i took out most of it. I left some in the back as a transition from the moss to the stems, sorta like a mini stem plant

It's weird to me still why the glosso didn't grow flat. I had plenty of light, i was doing EI dosing, and I was even injecting CO2 (I had my 5lb tank split for 2 tanks)

I also have some anubias nana tied to the little crook in between the branches, and some sorta hygro growing in the bottom of the wood. In the back, I have some stems of some sorta plants... i suck at names so yeah. haha

anyways, without further ado, here are some pics

FTS

Another FTS

mystery stems

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
Hey, totally forgot about this journal! thanks for bringing it back up!

ok, so its been well over a month since I started this tank.

I tried to modify the fish.com filter so i can stick the hydor flat heater into it, with disastrous effects, so I scrapped it and bought a tom's mini canister. The flat pack heater is still in there, but it's pretty well hidden by my stems. Lighting is a 15w 6700k CFL

Filled it up with aquasoil 1, and have been waiting for it to cycle. It's planted with various mosses on the wood, some mini christmas tree moss I picked up from AFA on the mesh for the foreground. I originally had glosso but it wasn't growing flat so i took out most of it. I left some in the back as a transition from the moss to the stems, sorta like a mini stem plant

It's weird to me still why the glosso didn't grow flat. I had plenty of light, i was doing EI dosing, and I was even injecting CO2 (I had my 5lb tank split for 2 tanks)

I also have some anubias nana tied to the little crook in between the branches, and some sorta hygro growing in the bottom of the wood. In the back, I have some stems of some sorta plants... i suck at names so yeah. haha

anyways, without further ado, here are some pics

FTS

Another FTS

mystery stems

Sweet! Those mystery stems look like sunset hygro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)
They look like Ludwigia repens x arcuata to me. Sunset is bright green with white/pink veins. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong picture referring to the mystery stems?

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Planted Member

It looks great. I really like the moss and the wood is the perfect shape/size for the tank.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yeah that's ludwigia repens for sure, but the other 2, I'm still in the dark about. Oh well.

these pics are actually a little old, I removed the moss mesh from the front and used it for another tank, right now im just growing out some staurogyne sp 049

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode