"Blushing Hills" - Red Plant Tank (56K alert!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
"Blushing Hills" - Red Plant Tank (56K alert!)

Hi there! Does anyone have tanks devoted to "red" plants only? Anything besides green, that is, all in one tank.

I think I've seen one photo like this somewhere around here, and I think it would be pretty cool to do..even if it's just a farm tank. I think I'm going to turn one of my spare 10s into something like this..since I have plenty of plants to spare, and want everything in the tank to benefit from extra iron/light or whatnot that I use to brighten them up.

Post your photos if you have them! Cheers.

NOW, on to the set-up...

Tank: 10 gallon
Filter: Aqua-Clear 30
Substrate: AquariumPlants' Own or Turface
CO2: 2L DIY tubed near propeller
Ferts: Pfertz NPK+trace, Flourish Excel, root tabs and extra iron.

Fauna: probably none, or just some sort of lovely shrimp or other. Possibly RCS, or maybe even blue tigers..or snowballs.. But no no no, this will be a plant-focused tank.

Flora Owned - may or may not use.

Rotala wallichii
Ludwigia ovalis
Rotala rotundifolia (I have a mountain of it in the 55 that needs to be chopped!)
Limnophila aromatica
Barclaya longifolia
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Red'/'Bronze'

Flora Ideas - just throwing them down as ideas, obviously, since my collectoritis isn't THAT bad yet. I just like the look of them.

Nesaea sp. 'Red Leaved'/'Golden'
Alternathera reineckii 'Rosefolia'
Hygrophila polysperma 'Sunset'/'Bold'
Myriophyllum tuberculatum
Hygrophila polysperma 'Siamensis'/'Stricta'
Rotala macandra
Cabomba furcata

Can you tell I already plan on upgrading this if the plans go well..? I see a 20L or 40B in my future.

I converted my empty laundry room to my 'fish/snake/cat room'.. I have one 4-shelf unit that can support up to 350lbs per shelf, and I plan on setting another up above the litter boxes..or just a large tank with a stand. These shelving units are surprisingly sturdy and inexpensive.

(Don't laugh at my step ladder, that thing is my best friend..especially for getting into my 55. )

This will be on the topmost shelf to the left, and for the moment I'll have two 15W stock lights from the 55 sitting over a reptile screen top..but eventually I plan to drill a fixture onto the underside of the ceiling shelf or just get two CFL lamps. Whichever takes less work.. The second shelf will be lowered and dedicated to nanos, I have one 2.5 tank in the works for a betta (just-planted sneak peek at the bottom). The third, a 20L for my baby ball python Briar. The fourth is just a litter-holding one..but who knows? That could be the next set-up. Excuse the messiness for now, this room shall be grand eventually.

I just finished filling the tank a bit ago and starting running CO2 and the filter, I'll get to planting some things tomorrow because I can't be bothered to drop this junk food and shove my arms in my 55 to start uprooting things. I still need to black out the background and maybe add more substrate behind the driftwood. I love the 'tiered' look. Thoughts, suggestions, hellos and the like are all welcome!

(This little tank will be one of two nanos:

It's like seeing a woman without her make-up on, it's so unfinished. The filter will be hidden, as well as the tubing, and it'll have a black background. But that's for another journal. )

Last edited by thewesterngate; 03-14-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Always tempted but never tried it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Go for it, yo! Or live vicariously through me. :P

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okay, so I've decided on the following...

Foreground (in front of driftwood):
2x C. wendtii 'red'
2x N. zenkeri (Red Tiger Lotus) *

Midground (framing driftwood):
1x C. wendtii 'bronze'
1x B. longifolia

Background (slightly 'tiered'):
Lower level -
3x Nesaea 'Golden' *
2-3x Nesaea sp. 'Red' *
4x R. wallichii

Taller level -
L. ovalis
2-3x L. aromatica
R. rotundifolia
2-3x A. reineckii 'Rosefolia' *
2x H. polysperma 'Sunset' *

* - need to buy. If anyone has a few stems/bulbs of these to spare..I'd be happy to buy them.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 04:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is gonna be cool. I can't wait!

5.5G - Low-Tech Planted
20G - Nano Reef
55G - African Cichlids and Tons of Java Ferns
160G - Central/South American Cichlids
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd5700 View Post
This is gonna be cool. I can't wait!
Aw, thanks! Part of me wants to keep a few killifish in here. Gah, I can never just have one project at a time! This is my third tank from 1-10 gallons..not to mention my two larger ones..OR my snakes.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewesterngate View Post
Aw, thanks! Part of me wants to keep a few killifish in here. Gah, I can never just have one project at a time! This is my third tank from 1-10 gallons..not to mention my two larger ones..OR my snakes.
I know the feeling . You could probably put some tetras or something in there if you want to have something moving in there.

5.5G - Low-Tech Planted
20G - Nano Reef
55G - African Cichlids and Tons of Java Ferns
160G - Central/South American Cichlids
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
That plant list is not practical for that tank. In my opinion you are better off picking two or three species and go with that. With that all those species listed, it will look like a circus tent.

In addition, red plants are not "easy" plants to keep. You need to work to keep alot of them red, and I can say this, the lighting must be pretty intense to make alot of them color up.

I applaud your vision, but I think you are over reaching for the size tank and the specs you have provided.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I understand the needs for red plants, and I'm going out today to get a fixture to put above it around 40-50 watts or more. As I said, it's more experimental than anything..and most of the plants I already own and are colored up nicely.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Alright, so..! I haven't done DIY lighting before, so let me know if this is wrong..but I have two 14W CFL bulbs over it, and because they're 60W equivalent..I wasn't exactly sure if I should focus on that or the actual '14W CFL' part. Either way, I could just as easily make some sort of bar above the tank to hang three clamp lights from if need be. Just let me know, for now they're clamped on the sides. I'm used to having an excess of light between my two T5HO fixtures on two larger tanks..

(I should probably put them closer to the water, too.)

But yes, I gave a little extra care to my bronze crypt because I realized that it was not just one big plant..but five smaller ones crammed into one pot. Sadly, this cramped tangle of roots caused a lot of die-off, so I split it up and put the little crypts around the driftwood.

Ah, cloudy water of death. We meet again.

If you squint really hard, you can see life in the back! But since you can't, I took individual pictures of the plants as they grow in the other tanks.

R. wallichii (more cloudy water, and overgrown plants):

I just got this Friday and it's already growing. I think it's my favorite plant.

R. rotundifolia:

You can't fully grasp the insanity of my r. rotundifolia bush with this shot, nor the color from the cloudy water, but this shows the top of one half of it in my 55 gallon.

This is just one of the 20 original stems which threw off seven more shoots.

L. ovalis:

In its prime, before mysteriously melting back. I still saved many small clippings that are just as colorful.

I wish I had a shot of just how red some of my crypts are, and the l. aromatica. But yes, this is the tank in its crude, cloudy beginnings. It's already clearing, so I'll keep you updated.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode