Looking for Advice - 5 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking for Advice - 5 Gallon

Lurked around here forever, first post.

So I have an empty 5 gallon tank. I want to make it into a decent looking planted tank. I am a college student, so Low Tech is a necessity. No money or space for CO2 systems. I have a mystery snail in a 1.5 gallon bowl with an anubias and an amazon sword which will all be transferred to the new tank. Eventually I want a male betta fish in there. Thats it for creatures. So there will be a filter and heater on the tank. Oh and lighting is a 13w daylight CFL for now.

After looking at other people's setups (yes I do my research), I love having a stone centerpiece, not a piece of driftwood. Personal preference.

Anyway, I am having a rough time picking a substrate for this tank. I was thinking either pool filter sand, black diamond, or gravel. What would you guys recommend? It will have to be moved a limited amount to get to college in the fall and whatnot, so I want something that wont like destroy the water when traveling.

Also any suggestions on plants that will go good for my conditions will be helpful. I like things that are hard to kill, and not super rare. (cause rare = expensive)

~hi452
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 03:59 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I am really happy with my 5g cylinder vase under a single CFL. Sand substrate with lava rock and Java Fern that overtook the tank after 2 years. Really low tech and almost 0 maintenance. Had to move the tank 150 mi a week ago - it did not skip a beat.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/22...te-w-pics.html
Opare and Opare like this.

Last edited by OVT; 05-08-2016 at 04:04 AM. Reason: link
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 02:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Java Fern is a good way to go! You could get some different Anubias species, maybe some Dwarf Saggitaria for ground cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Both pool filter sand and blasting abrasive will both be fine. It's just going to be a preference of color for you. Add some root tabs and you're golden.

Just a noob

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 10:40 AM
Algae Grower

I'm a big fan of marimo moss balls. They are really chill as long as you have decent lighting. They grow very slow and look pretty when pearling (although you might not get pearling without CO2, but I have a friend who said his has tiny pearls by the end of the day and he has a low-tech tank).

Also I would go with gravel as it's easier to clean with a gravel vacuum. That's what I find anyway.

As for plants betta fish really like emersed plants like pothos which are easy to grow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode