• 2 Post By will5
  • 2 Post By will5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to will5
First Wabi-Kusa!

This is my first try at a Wabi-Kusa. Thoughts and opinions appreciated. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20160502_154057.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	524.0 KB
ID:	626826  

Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20160502_154102.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	530.3 KB
ID:	626834  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 07:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Really pretty! I've been planning to set up some Wabi-Kusa this summer and it'll be great to see how this goes so I can have some pointers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well this one is my firs as well so im not an expert by far...but I can tell you what I did.

We made it at my local plant group meeting using organic potting soil, some tropica substrate, and a sprinkling of powered clay. Mixed them together and moistened them just enough to hold it's ball shape and hen covered it with mesh.

Next we covered it with moss wrapped with thread. Next step was to chose our plants and them lay ( we did not insert because the holes would have allowed the soil to become free) them on the ball. Wrapped it in thread again and that's it....as I said it's really simple. Just mist it everyday and you'll be set.

Also mine is only lit by natural light by the window as well. Once a week you'll want to fertilize it. I mist it with water from my High Tech Aquarium for this. Other then that all you have to do is sit back and watch it grow.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Opare and Opare like this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 01:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

First Wabi-Kusa!

Yeah seems simple enough. I've also been looking at doing ones without the moss ball.
Like this:
I think the principals are the same. Slowly transition it to full emersed with wrapping and spraying, as well as foliar fertiliser once a week.
Really interested how the just natural lighting goes, cus I kinda don't wanna buy a light just for an emersed thang when I live in the tropics where sun is always available.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Go for it! This is the next one im making as well.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 03:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

I just have to find a suitable glass dish for it hahaha.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by will5 View Post
This is my first try at a Wabi-Kusa. Thoughts and opinions appreciated. :-)

Nice! So you tied down the stem plants flat and then they just grew upwards like that?

||
||
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 04:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
This looks so cool! So I have only one question, do you have to wrap it with plastic wrap to prevent transpiration from occuring? How can you sustain this growth if these are aquatic plants?

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 04:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanSan View Post
This looks so cool! So I have only one question, do you have to wrap it with plastic wrap to prevent transpiration from occuring? How can you sustain this growth if these are aquatic plants?

A lot of the plants we use are actually semi-aquatic and grow mostly above water in river banks etc. . So you can set up emersed (not in water) systems by maintaining humidity, and after a while they'll get to a point where you don't have to keep them covered and they'll become fully emersed and all you have to do is spray them. But, yes the wrap is to keep the environment humid to reduce transpiration rate.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 04:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
A lot of the plants we use are actually semi-aquatic and grow mostly above water in river banks etc. . So you can set up emersed (not in water) systems by maintaining humidity, and after a while they'll get to a point where you don't have to keep them covered and they'll become fully emersed and all you have to do is spray them. But, yes the wrap is to keep the environment humid to reduce transpiration rate.
Impressive. So how often do you have to spray something like this, or do you have a mister hanging over it with a timer?

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 04:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanSan View Post
Impressive. So how often do you have to spray something like this, or do you have a mister hanging over it with a timer?

It sort of varies. At the start when there's a wrap over it maybe twice a day, but once you get to the point they've fully converted maybe once a day. But, it's different for everyone and each setup. A mister is a bit overkill especially with small set-up's like these. Misters and humidifiers make more sense for those huge vivarium set-up's for dart frogs and stuff like that.

http://aquaristmagazine.com/andras-t...usa-interview/
I found this read interesting. Also check out The Green Machine's Wabi-Kusa tutorial.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereninga View Post
Nice! So you tied down the stem plants flat and then they just grew upwards like that?
Yes...a new plant should grow from each node.

bereninga and bereninga like this.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmanplanted View Post
Looks nice! Did you take the plants from submerged growth or were they already emersed? How long do you have to keep the wrap on for?
I took them from a submerged state.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks great!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode