Grand Valley, The Comeback - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/96%)
Grand Valley, The Comeback

It's been so long since I've had a planted tank, well, at least for the last 2 years. Yesterday night cruising through the forum, I grew a little itch. As the night got darker, the itch kept getting worst! It wouldn't go away all night until i fell asleep.

This morning i woke up, still had the itch, but it wasn't nearly as bad. Until I decided it was a good idea to check this forum out again. well, again, the itch started getting pretty worst and i couldn't get it off my mind all day. 23 I could do is put together an idea for another mini tank but most important is, I can not buy anything.

After looking through all my aquatic equipments I decided it was best to put together a pico tank, less space, less electricity, and less money. I started looking for equipments around 7:30pm and the end product was finished at around 10:30pm. So enough will my blabbering and onward with the pictures and details.

Volume: around a liter, i think
Subtract: ADA aquasoil Amozonia II
Fuana: HC
Light: PC 23W
Filter: Peace of felt to catch debris, for now. To be modified later.
Misc: Co2 2-3 bps from 5lbs and Milwaukee regulator

testing/fraging table

made way for the big tank.

testing out the area

Final Scape

top down

2 yrs old Emersed HC prep for planting

Top down wet

planted and filled with water

Lights on

POV shot

close up/co2 added

COMMENT AWAY!

P.s post was delayed due to photobucket screwing up last night. No changes this morning except the water clearer and equipments are replace back on the table.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is going to be a very interesting thread. I know it! Anyways, so far it looks great, especially the rocks. hopefully the HC will adjust to submersed life with no problems after 2 years of emersed growth.

What are the dimensions on this tank? I plan on also setting up a pico planted tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Planted Member

Oh I'm just itching to see a little shrimp in there! Shrimpzilla!!! King of The Grand Valley

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

not sure what the dimension it is, but i'll grab that later tonight for you. I hope the HC takes off before any algae gets a chance to grow, there is 23w over a tiny tank and all. The good thing is i have co2 pumping into this thing at a decent rate, enough to where i don't think I would feel comfortable placing a live animal in there due to co2 suffocation.

The HC has been pearling like crazy all day too, I'm so stoke having this little green tank next to my reef tank, it's such a nice offset. I will probably have some shrimps (maybe) later on when the HC fills out the whole tank, witch shouldn't take long but you never know.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Algae Grower

Cool, I was wondering if you were planning on shrimps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 01:00 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
That looks very cool. I love the depth that the rocks create. Looks almost like a Canyon wall.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I love it! i wish i could find awesome rocks like that!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 03:58 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Wow that filter looks humongous on that tank, must be cycling your tank +1000 times per hour :P
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

dacrax07, knowing me, i wouldn't doubt it at all. I just have to make sure the water condition will he appropriate for live animals. some yellow shrimps would be sweet. Do you know if any new species come out since the sulawesi? BTW here's the tank dimension
20cm x 12.5cm x 10.25cm

BeachBum2012, thanks man. That was the intention for this tiny tank, making it something that it's really not. And of course I couldn't call it the "Grand Canyon", that's why I went with "Grand Valley"

AlexXx, thanks! I found these by luck and got them free, locally! The only bad thing is, I only have about 5lbs total. Wish I had more, then I could put together something like this but at a larger scale. that would be pretty cool/fun.

shoteh, It originally came with a 1 gal tank I got from petco a few years back, terrific filter for small tanks. I'm not sure what the GPH is but i'm sure it's probably cycling the tank somewhere 100 times and hour...I really don't know but heck, it doesn't look that bad.

Well, the update....nothing much has happened since the start up. The tank has cleared up now and I see some rooting happening from the HC. I'm tempted to do a w/c but I'm going to wait it out and see if I can just go by with just topping off. At the first sign of algae, I will do a w/c and treat it with excel. The HC has gotten a darker green hue since the start of the submersed form w/ co2 and highlighting. I was also considering to place a redd-ish/pink-ish/ or even orang-ish plant to the tank but I'm not quite sure I can put in there without throwing off the scale, any ideas from you fellas?

3-5

3-8

Last edited by guitardude9187; 03-09-2010 at 03:59 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So after strolling through the plant list on here and APC, I couldn't find anything that won't throw off the scale of the scape.

here's a picture for tonight.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
Nice layout! It always amazes when someone can create that illusion of a grand scene in a pico tank setting. Can't wait to see it after the HC carpets up.

As far as a smaller stem with a little red/orange hue you could look into Rotala 'Goias'. Its a pretty small stem but considering the size of the tank it would probably still throw off the scale. :-/ Thats going to be a hard one.

Is this a custom acrylic?

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think i would stick to moss type plants, maybe some fisseden or something to keep it in scale maybe check out some of this guys tanks, hes amazing at scaling tiny tanks... its unreal honestly.

http://www.akvaristikayu.com/Octopus...ng/Gallery.htm
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
That really looks like tiny trees growing on the side of a mountain. Amazing!

Any info on the tank? Looks like acrylic, where did you get it?

Subscribed.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
This is a really, really great tank. Little or not, it's put together so well.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Algae Grower

dang that thing is small. Nice work.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode