Anyone have any luck making a custom lid for their 2.5? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Anyone have any luck making a custom lid for their 2.5?

TLDR: anyone have any luck cutting filter cutouts in glass?

My old 2.5 lid has water stains from hell that I can't get off with scraping, vinegar, steel wool, rubbing compound, etc.

I accidentally hit my old 2.5 with a dinner plate or something, and cracked the glass, so I bought another one. I took apart the old one (Difficult, careful, the glass under the rim is very sharp), and tried my hand at cutting up a new lid...

I can get the straight cuts fine, but I'm trying to do a cutout for the Red Sea Nano filter, so I need a corner cutout of the lid. I tried a ninety degree cut and can't get the glass to break clean, and tried a radiused 90 degree cut, and can sometimes get those to be alright, but usually it still doesn't break very well, and ruins the whole piece...

I only have one pane left that's big enough to make a lid, so if I screw that up then game over, unless I can somehow clean the old lid... I'm kinda broke at the moment, but have a bazillion dremel tools. I'd hate to buy a sheet of acrylic to make one, and was hoping to do that as a last resort..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I took mine to get it cut--they broke it. So, I had them cut me a piece of Lexan and I use it on my 2.5gal. It works pretty well--curls up a little bit over time.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
you could prob get a class shop to cut this for you for under 15 bucks with the glass included.

They might even smooth the edges for you.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Eh. I figured a new lid would get the glass etching soon anyways, and tested the light loss through the old lid. Was about 5% which is on par with what I'd expect from glass anyways. Measured and did a straight cut with the $2 harbor freight glass cutter. Uncovered area is less than 2 square inches.

As an experiment I suppose, I left the lid on for 3 years with water in the tank. Evaporation was about an inch. I bet with even this cut that there wouldn't be any noticeable evaporation within a month.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I just did 4 2.5g tanks. First time I ever cut glass and had no problems. I did a 45 degree angle cut in the corner. The edges were a bit sharp, but I just filed them down a bit. It's not a perfectly straight cut, but it's so small and in the back corner, so it doesn't really matter to me how it looks.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkysko View Post
Eh. I figured a new lid would get the glass etching soon anyways, and tested the light loss through the old lid. Was about 5% which is on par with what I'd expect from glass anyways. Measured and did a straight cut with the $2 harbor freight glass cutter. Uncovered area is less than 2 square inches.

As an experiment I suppose, I left the lid on for 3 years with water in the tank. Evaporation was about an inch. I bet with even this cut that there wouldn't be any noticeable evaporation within a month.
How do you know it is 5%? Not trying to be rude, but short of a par meter, there is no way to know...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode