• 2 Post By OVT
  • 2 Post By harrynolan27
  • 2 Post By AquaAurora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
5g Bowl Filer Choice

I searched Petco and Amazon for some filters for a planted bowl but couldn't find anything very good. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 07:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Sponge filter? (the ones with a weighted base, not suction cups)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 07:21 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Azoo 60 Mignon / Palm works fine on my 5g cylinder.
Check them out on Dr Foster and Smith: about $8.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 07:21 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/...fm?pcatid=9821 this was the first filter that came to mind. Also if hanging it on the bowl isn't an option there are things like the toms mini canister, zoo med turtle filters, finnex PX canister. I've heard fairly good things with all these filters but have no experience with them myself. Just sharing some different options. I'm sure others will give some input as well.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
for curved bowls/vases I use jardin mini cylinder sponge filter from amazon + airline tubing and tetra whisper air pump. Most of my tanks have them actually ^^

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Sponge filter? (the ones with a weighted base, not suction cups)
Have you tried this and it worked well? I'm a little skeptical about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Azoo 60 Mignon / Palm works fine on my 5g cylinder.
Check them out on Dr Foster and Smith: about $8.
This wouldn't work on a curved bowl would it?

Like this one http://previews.123rf.com/images/ran...tock-Photo.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrynolan27 View Post
Power Filter for Small & Desktop Aquariums: Azoo Palm Filter this was the first filter that came to mind. Also if hanging it on the bowl isn't an option there are things like the toms mini canister, zoo med turtle filters, finnex PX canister. I've heard fairly good things with all these filters but have no experience with them myself. Just sharing some different options. I'm sure others will give some input as well.
So you think this will work?Canister Filters: Rapids Mini Canister Filter at Foster & Smith Aquatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
for curved bowls/vases I use jardin mini cylinder sponge filter from amazon + airline tubing and tetra whisper air pump. Most of my tanks have them actually ^^
That's pretty cheap. How does it work though? Does it hold up pretty well? It's just gonna be one Betta fish
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 12:59 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Ok, I see your bowl now and Azoo 60 will not work but any mini canister filter will.
Out of all the choices I think that an internal sponge filter driven by an air pump is your best bet - easiest to set up with a single clear air hose going into the bowl. And your beta will love the bubbles and the gentle flow.
Padres1234 and Padres1234 like this.

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 01:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How it works is the air from the pump travels to the center of the sponge and then rises through the lift tube which draws water through the sponge and out the top. The sponge does a little mechanical filtering but mostly its a great place for biological bacteria to grow. Very simple, works awesome, and lasts forever. I think the ones I mentioned earlier may be a little difficult to set up and the simplicity of a sponge filter may be the best option. Search xy-2835 sponge filter on amazon, Another one that I know is smaller so it wouldn't stick out so much.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padres1234 View Post
That's pretty cheap. How does it work though? Does it hold up pretty well? It's just gonna be one Betta fish
how spogne fitlers work:
Sponge or Breeder Filters - The First Tank Guide - Filtering Your Aquarium Water

I use it in most of my betta tanks and it does great-some have been in nearly 2 years. If you plan to keep something with a larger biolaod such as a large snail species (nerite, mystery, apple) you may need to ring out the sponge filter ever few months as it will get clogged form all the snail poop. I've had 'pest' snails in these tanks all teh time (ramshorn, pond, bladder, mts) and the sponge filter keeps up fine with them.
If you have issues with the bubbles sound you get get a small air stone and make a minor mod to quiet the bubble noise, but it reduces efficiency of the sponge filter.. If you are only keep 1 betta though it will be fine, they're not big biolaods (just don't over feed-leave uneaten food in).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you all so much! It sounds like I will just go with a sponge filter and an air pump. I appreciate all the feedback and advice

I'm hoping to get some plants soon and like a 5 watt CFL.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode