The Planted Tank Forum banner

Temp drop for 2.5g

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Bonsai 
#1 ·
Hello,

So far I have been able to keep my 2.5g bow tank at 78 degrees. However, in the past two days it has become colder here in Maryland and my son's room is cold also. The temp dropped to 74 degrees last night and I am a bit worried. I have two guppies in the tank. They seem to be just fine. Was wondering if it is sort of safe to wrap a heating pad around the back of the tank to give it some warmth? With it set on low. What do you all think. I do know that at WalMart they sell heater for 1-2 gal tanks but they don't have a thermostat on them which could be dangerous. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I think I know what you're talking about. I converted a 5-gallon reptile tank (with an attached heating pad on the bottom) over to a fish tank. Didn't really do much for the water temperature since there was 3 inches of sand on top of the pad. Also, the pads only work if they're attached to a flat surface and shouldn't be wrapped around anything.

There's quite a few heaters out there that have a built in thermostat. You just have to look around. I think you'll get better results with a heater, and it'll be much safer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.