Nutrafin C02 System? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Nutrafin C02 System?

After a lot of research, my wife and I decided to bag the 12-gallon Nano Cube and purchase a 14-gallon Oceanic Biocube instead. We're going to use Eco-Complete as our substrate. The Biocube comes with 48 watts of lighting. We were thinking about adding a Nutrafin C02 System as well. I know a lot of you use DIY C02 systems, but we'd prefer something that's a little easier to setup and maintain.

Does anyone have any experience with the Nutrafin C02 System. Is it needed in a tank this size? Do you have any other recommendations for first time planted aquarium enthusiasts?

Thanks,
Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I don't really know if Nutrafin is that much easier to set up. Open bottle, pour in solutes, stir/swirl/shake, close bottle. I guess the main difference with setup is that each component comes in little packets but thats hardly an issue. As for the ladder diffuser, theres mixed reviews about it. It might just be better to pipe into the filter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Chimonanthus praecox seeds. PM me.

:
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I wonder if there are any DIY kits that come with everything you need to build your own?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

There's also the new Hydor kit, but I don't know anything about it.

http://www.marineandreef.com/CO2_Gre...p/rhy00394.htm
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I don't know if there is a kit for it. The yeast system uses sugar, yeast, water, and baking soda (optional). Nutrafin is the same stuff but given fancy names (Activator/Stabilizer). The Hydor system is a small pressurized system. Instead of relying on fermentation to generate CO2, the gas is contained in the cartridge. The idea is basically a downsized version of this except that the cartridge is "disposible".

Free Chimonanthus praecox seeds. PM me.

:
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

For a 12-gallon Biocube, which would you use?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 12:00 AM
Planted Member

I would use DIY initially with the ladder...and save slowly for a paintball CO2 tank and regulator...a 24oz tank on a 14 gal @ 2bps lasts a yr I think...
costs about ~$20-$25 to refill (just noticed my typo..should be $10-$15)

Last edited by killacross; 02-28-2010 at 06:04 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killacross View Post
I would use DIY initially with the ladder...and save slowly for a paintball CO2 tank and regulator...a 24oz tank on a 14 gal @ 2bps lasts a yr I think...
costs about ~$20-$25 to refill
Let me clear something up... tank size means nothing. A 24 oz co2 at 2bps will last the same amount of time on a 2 gallon tank as it would on a 75g tank.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 01:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have the kit and find it's good for what it is... an easy way to supply CO2 with minimal maintenance. I still have a few packets of the stabilizers and activators left, but after they're all used up, I'll mix my own sugar/yeast/baking soda refill. The canister and bubble ladder that comes in the kit works much better than any pop bottle DIY contraption you can rig up, so for a minimal initial cost, I suggest you initially purchase the kit for mainly for the parts and then afterwards mix your own yeast mixture to save some money.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hey guys, I really appreciate all your help. I've decided go with the Nutrafin CO2 system based on the comments that were given. After I've gone through the tablets, how do I mix my own stuff? I've read tht you can regulate the BPS by how you mix the ingredients.

BTW, what should I call the CO2 concoction we're referring to?

Also, should I purchase a check valve for the Nutrafin setup or does it already come with one?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I think you'd be happier with using a 2L bottle. For one, they last much longer. The nutrafin kit often comes with bad ingredients. The great part about 2L bottles is the ease of use, plus you can just mix up another and switch them quick. The only thing you need to buy is a funnel from kitchen section at walmart or a folded paper plate.

I think there are a lot of places that are better to spend your money on... Making a DIY kit takes about 3 minutes.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Do I need a check valve too?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley View Post
Do I need a check valve too?

Yes, for DIY you can get some cheap pastic ones from teh pet store, wouldn't use them on pressurized but htey worked fine on DIY way back when.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 04:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Once in a while, I'll use the Nutrafin canisters for DIY CO2. I don't use the ladder (it's ugly) and I elect to save money and use the regular sugar, yeast, and baking soda recipe. I've used glass diffusers with the canisters and have never had a problem. The good thing about the Nutrafin canisters is that you're pretty much assured that they're airtight.

(Spoiler alert: Eventually, you'll go pressurized. It's inevitable. Despite whatever you're thinking to the contrary right now...
It. Is. Inevitable.)
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I agree. Where can I get a cool looking diffuser?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode